NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old April 22nd, 2012, 21:53
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Lift gate lifts brands?

what year jeep? seems the ones for the newer jeeps are made better and stronger. even the circumference is larger than the early ones.
Old June 7th, 2012, 11:38
NAXJA# 2091

The Strongarms are still working on the 89 Cherokee, but one of the Strongarms on the 87 jeep bent the ball studs, and kept popping off. So I replaced the ball studs on that side, and the strong arm is still popping off.

I called Rock Auto to replace it under warranty. I suspect this one is overcharged, too hard to close the tailgate, it binds up and pops off.

I will update when the new one arrives.

I do not like the clips on the Strongarms! I just discovered that the ends, are threaded, the clip assy, and can be swapped out!!! Don't know if the different brands use the same thread???? Wishing I had kept the old ones to swap ends maybe?
34 MPG , '85 2WD Cherokee Pioneer with custom installed, 64 hp, 2.2 L Nissan SD22 Diesel 5 spd Manual; & 4 Renix XJs, '87 Wagoneer 4.0, 4WD, 89-Cherokee, 4WD, '87 Cherokee 2WD, & '89 Cherokee Pioneer 2WD, all 4dr. #2091
Old January 6th, 2018, 14:57
NAXJA Forum User

Dredging up an old thread to see if there might be any updated information about best/longest lasting brand. My last set of Monroes from Rock Auto died within 6 months (no warranty)!
Old January 6th, 2018, 17:18
NAXJA# 2091

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertred View Post
Dredging up an old thread to see if there might be any updated information about best/longest lasting brand. My last set of Monroes from Rock Auto died within 6 months (no warranty)!
Strong arms are the best I have found. I'm getting 3-5 years out of a pair. I only changed one of 2 out last year on 2 jeeps and that was good enough for now.
I got a great delivered price at Amazon prime
34 MPG , '85 2WD Cherokee Pioneer with custom installed, 64 hp, 2.2 L Nissan SD22 Diesel 5 spd Manual; & 4 Renix XJs, '87 Wagoneer 4.0, 4WD, 89-Cherokee, 4WD, '87 Cherokee 2WD, & '89 Cherokee Pioneer 2WD, all 4dr. #2091
Old January 6th, 2018, 17:48
NAXJA Forum User

The ones I bought from Napa, about 3 years ago, are doing fine. Even with the cold snap that we are having here in New England at the moment. There is one thing I read a long time ago that I do. Let the hatch open all the way by itself. Do not push up on it. Let the lift gate supports do their job. Is this true? Anybodies guess.
Old January 6th, 2018, 19:30
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecomike View Post
Strong arms are the best I have found. I'm getting 3-5 years out of a pair. I only changed one of 2 out last year on 2 jeeps and that was good enough for now.
I got a great delivered price at Amazon prime
Any continued problems with the ball studs bending or the arms staying on the studs?
Old January 7th, 2018, 10:54
NAXJA# 2091

Quote:
Any continued problems with the ball studs bending or the arms staying on the studs?
I bent the old ones trying to pop / force the old arms off, before I discovered the clips that held them on.

New ones worked fine, no problems since then. But those tail gates are supper heavy with both arms off, or one dead arm still on. Takes two people, a helper to hold the gate up that is not weak kneed, while you install the lift(s), LOL.

The new ones come with new clips that fit the lifts.
Old January 7th, 2018, 11:49
NAXJA Forum User

Thanks. I'll give the Strong Arms a try. I know how heavy that tailgate is, lol. I muscle the install of the struts by myself. I suspect that only one of the Monroes have failed and the other is likely still good, but is not enough by itself to hold the lift gate up.
Old January 7th, 2018, 12:06
NAXJA# 2091

I have found the last 3 times that changing just one got it working OK as well. But I usually tackle the problem before they are both totally dead. I never heard anyone here complain about the strong arms. But even they do not last forever. But looking at my records I am getting 5-7 years out of them on average it seems. I bought 6 extra spares on Amazon last year dirt cheap delivered free. We have 7 jeeps now LOL. One is totaled ( I need to salvage the engine, etc), one is a Liberty, the others are 85-89s.
Old January 19th, 2018, 13:47
NAXJA Forum User

Just a follow up. I got the Strong Arms installed. As I suspected, one of the Monroes had blown its seals and had no pressure remaining. The other seamed fine and I kept it as a spare. Hopefully, I won't need it for another 5-7 years.
Old January 19th, 2018, 14:11
NAXJA# 2091

I would keep one of the strong arms as the spare, and use the good Monroe till it dies. Reason? I think they have a shelf life for the charge!!! I think it slowly leaks over the years.

Quote:
Just a follow up. I got the Strong Arms installed. As I suspected, one of the Monroes had blown its seals and had no pressure remaining. The other seamed fine and I kept it as a spare. Hopefully, I won't need it for another 5-7 years.