• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best 8.8 swap kit?? Where to buy?

barillms

NAXJA Forum User
Swapping my 8.8 in soon.
I want to buy a kit with eveything I need... u bolts, plate, perches, shock mounts, new yoke... everything??
Where do i get this? How much?

8.8 kit

I haven't seen a KIT for the installation of the 8.8.
I forget the ford part # for the drive shaft you need, I've seen it on a site some where and I'm sure you could find it. If I find it I'll passit along to you.
As for the u bolts just go to a spring shop, they will have everything you need inclding the perches. Around here I go to MEMPHIS SPRING and I'm sure they can ship it.
All that and I wasn't much help was I :doh:

barillms said:
Swapping my 8.8 in soon.
I want to buy a kit with eveything I need... u bolts, plate, perches, shock mounts, new yoke... everything??
Where do i get this? How much?

I think the kits are a rip-off. JMHO though. I found it was wayyy cheaper to piece it together. I got ubolts from the farm store, found perches on line, reused my D35 shock mounts, any my flat flange came from the bone yard. Not including the rearend it self, I had less than $75 in that stuff. BUT, if you are looking for convience, I can see how the MORE kit would fit that bill.

Hale

Scroll up to the top of this page and hit sponsor info then scroll down to Ruff Stuff. You will get super stought high quality stuff for a good price.
Dana 60 pearches and real thick u-bolts. You will need to add the spicer yoke adapter for you U joint.

Take it from me, I have swapped in an 8.8 into my 90 Cherokee.
I bought the E-brake cables and the ford flange from M.O.R.E. and the rest from local shops and saved a ton.

Perches were 12 bucks, shock mounts were like 8 bucks and the u-bolts were custom bent at 30 bucks.

EASY swap also

just my .02!!!

X2 on ruffstuff. Got the kit sitting in my garage for my buddies 8.8 swap and it's NICE!! Around $100 bucks, +Dans a great guy+he's a sponsor on our great board!!

AZRockRunner said:
Take it from me, I have swapped in an 8.8 into my 90 Cherokee.
I bought the E-brake cables and the ford flange from M.O.R.E. and the rest from local shops and saved a ton.

Perches were 12 bucks, shock mounts were like 8 bucks and the u-bolts were custom bent at 30 bucks.

EASY swap also

just my .02!!!
You bought the M.O.R.E cables and saved a ton? You don't need the cables if you have the original cable's. Use a 1/8 or 3/16 cable clamp and wrap your old cable around the break engagment paw. Ruff Stuff kit is cheap for what you get. The best.

I never heard about the " Ruff Stuff " kit when I was doing my swap.
I did the cables at a later date after the swap. I tried the factory cables but had nothing but problems. I admint I could have gotten them worked out, but I needed E-brakes A.S.A.P. and figured WHY NOT?

As far as saving $$$. I did that bu getting the rest of the stuff peice by peice instead of in a kit from M.O.R.E.

I got to thinking about the cables last night. If you got the cash and want to save time that would be the better rought. It takes some patients to reuse your existing cables. I lucked into long1/4 inch stainless clamps at home depo. The kit comes with two clamps but only 1 thimble so you need two packs. You have to carfully cut some of the spring from the old cable and loosen the cable adjuster all the way for slack. The thimble on mine needed to be cut down to get enough cable around it to fit the clamp. I would recomend having the adjuster on the drum ebrake set loose to gain more slack. You have to carfully bend and work the cable just to thread the nuts on the clamp. When done glop locktight on the clamp threads. This is somthing you want done right making the m.o.r.e cable a better but costly alternative.

Back