• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3" Lift install/Bent Center Pin

Problem #1

Ok, so I'm installing Rusty's 3" kit. Back Passenger side went decent, I suppose. It took a lot longer than I thought it would, but what doesn't. Driver's side rear, didn't quite go as planned. Couldn't get the axle low enough to the leafs back in without the brake line ripping out, so during my improvisation (?) I somehow bent the center pin pretty good right in the center. So, now the nut won't go all the way down. I got the leafs on and the U-bolts put back in place and everything is good to go except the center pin is not tightened down. Is this a problem? I've heard that this bolt is only used to keep the leafs aligned while bolting down the U-bolts. If this is true then after you get the U-bolts tightened down all the way, then theoretically you wouldn't need the center pin anymore, right? Its not like it can fall out or anything....????

Problem #2

Cannot figure out how to install this silly little "Z" bracket Rusty sent me to extend my brake line. All his directions say is remove the "E" clip and attach the "Z" bracket. From what I can tell my "E" clip does not come off of the frame. It appears to be welded. Any help or maybe a picture would be appreciated.

Thanks........

How much of the bolt is sticking up before the bend....you might want to cut it off under the nut and then put eh nut back onteh spring side...if you have room

sorry i can't answer your center pin question but,about the brakeline problem....go to the parts house and tell them you need a rear brakehose for a '96 Dodge Dakota 4x4.It's about $30.but total length of hose is 22".this way if you ever decide to lift higher you won't have to replace it again:) .it's an exact fit.

xjnation said:
How much of the bolt is sticking up before the bend....you might want to cut it off under the nut and then put eh nut back onteh spring side...if you have room

There is about 3" of the bolt protruding from the leafs and the bend is in the middle of that 3", so that would leave me about 1 1/2" to play with. What would I cut it w/, a hacksaw?:confused:

I know these are famous last words, but I don't ever plan on going higher than 3", so I would really just like to put this "Z" bracket on there and forget about it. Thanks for the input though.

I'm not sure about Paducah,I live in north eastern KY.Foothills of the appalachian mtns.Good trails around here,close to Jellico TN.and Tellico.TN/NC.NAXJA member#579

I had the same problem with my center pin but only because my friend that was helpin me tried to use the pin and the nut to suck up the AAL and the rest of the sping pack, the way to do it is to get some C clamps and to hold the pack together then see how much slack you have left in the pin and cut it down and put the nut back on. Or depending on how bad it is bent you could try to straigten it out and run a tap down it and try again. I have seen springs run with a broken center pin but only as a temp thing, you really probably shouldnt try that because the head of that pin keeps the springs from moving around

K9,

I was talking to Rusty in person last weekend, he explained it to me i know you have to cut a slot out of one of the ends. Then slide the brakeline in. Call him and ask him to explain how to put it on he will tell you how.

Go to NAPA and get a replacement center pin. They are a little over a $1!

I fixed both problems.

I used a good pair of vice-grips on the top of the center pin and cranked the nut over the bent bolt then hack-sawed the bolt off just below the bend.

I also called Rusty about the brake line. He said just remove the clip from the "E" bracket then cut the "Z" bracket, he sent me, to slide the brake line in there then bend it back and bolt it up to the "E" clip. Seems kinda strange that he sends you something that you have to break just to get it to work. Just my .02.....

Thanks for all the info and help. After only 3 days(sarcastic) I finally have my lift on and I really like it alot. Thanks again......

Back