• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another HSV Jeeper Build

Minagera

NAXJA Forum User
Greetings, this is more for me to keep track of everything I plan on doing with the jeep and to get the opinions (and hopefully wisdom) from some of the more experienced Jeepers out there.

First a little background. I am a Systems Engineer (VMware) by trade, however that is really just to pay the bills. My first love is to work with cars, with a focus on the old Mitsubishi Starions (aka Chrysler Conquests). That is all fine and good, but it is time for me to be a little more sensible and get my DD jeep into a decent condition to play with.

The Rig:

97 Cherokee Sport
4.6L Stoker (recovered from a parts jeep I had, and went through the internals)
Soft 8's with 31 Pro-Comps
2 Accidents, one claimed the hatch (not my fault), one claimed the header panel (my fault.)

The Plans:

- Get some 33" tires and 4.56 gears
- Install the 4.5" lift and the long arm
- SYE with drive-shaft
- Get the 99+ intake installed
- Get some skids on the bottom
- Build/Buy a front bumper
- Finish off the rear bumper with swing away
- Strip the interior, liner on the floors, reinstall
- Clean up the body and get it all one color

Now I already have some uninstalled parts purchased:

-4.5" Rusty Lift (used from parts jeep)
-Poly bushing kit (new)
-Rough Country Long Arm Kit (new)
-99+ Intake /w Fuel Rail
-8.25 29 spline Detroit
-ZJ Rear Disk Setup (might need guidance on this)

As she sits now.
PC120550.JPG

PC120551.JPG

PC120554.JPG

PC120556.JPG

Sounds like a good plan! I'm interested to see how the rear discs work out for you. Any paticular reason why you are swapping the fuel rail?

Sounds like a good plan! I'm interested to see how the rear discs work out for you. Any paticular reason why you are swapping the fuel rail?

Well I am going to try and stick with http://home.swbell.net/rriojas3/reardisk.html for the disk brake swap.

None what so ever, just came with the intake.

I still have a few months before I can get my hands on it though.

Last edited:
Gotcha. It will be easier for you to leave your current fuel rail in for the swap. Once you unbolt it from the intake mani it moves out of the way easily. Just a thought.

awesome! someone else local to the hsv area! welcome! hit me up. i am ALWAYS working on a jeep.

I am thinking that I need to rebuild another 231 xfer. As I understand 200k is a pretty good life for the 231 chain, and I am right about there. So I will probably be looking for another 231 to rebuild while I am doing a SYE.

Looks good. GL!

While you’re away it always seems easy to collect more parts. The plans has pretty much stayed the same on this jeep, however some new additions make it sweeter.

Current Parts

-Rusty's 4.5" Lift
-RE 4.5 Long Arm Kit
-JCR Stage III Front Bumper /w hoop for lights
-JCR Transfer & Gas Tank Skid
-JCR Stage III Sliders
-XJ Dana 44
-99+ Intake
-Poly Bushings

Needed\Wanted Parts
-Locker and shafts for the 44. (Open to suggestions?)
-Gears (Trying to decide between 4.10 and 4.56)
-Tires (Depending on gears 33" or 35")
-Another 231 rebuilt/rebuildable & SYE
-One more Cragar 15x8 for spare
-Frame Stiffeners
-Alternator Upgrade
-Larger Capacity Battery
-Fog Lights for Bumper
-Radiator Fan Setup (Debating on going electric)
-Replacement Steering Wheel
-New Hatch Struts
-Exhaust Piping
-Replacement Windshield
-Tub o'Herculiner

Work Needed
-Drivers Door Hinge welded back to the body
-Change all fluids
-Build Exhaust
-Install all the parts
-Headlight Harness Upgrade
-Strip interior, clean interior, apply liner, apply heat shielding, reinstall interior
-Clean exterior, scuff exterior, paint exterior. (One colored jeeps are better than multi)
-Get the Jeep Dirty :)

I believe that is about it, minus the time and patience needed to get it all together well. Also going to get rid of the 8.25 disk brake conversion stuff I have and figure put how to put disks on the 44.

Last edited:
Ha true enough, but it does give me time to research everything and make "good" decisions based in others successes and failures.

Like I am probably going to go with just 4.10s rather than 4.56s, and while that limits my tire select to 33" and below without losing grunt, it is nice for something that will most likely be a weekend warrior\camping vehicle.

Back