• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

IPF harness + daytime running lights

Gjeep

NAXJA Forum User
I had working daytime running lamps on my 90 MJ...a DesignTech module that was working fine until this weekend when I installed my IPF upgrade lighting harness. It seems that the factory Jeep lights are a POSITIVE headlamp system (meaning 12 volts switched to the headlight and ground is constant) and the IPF's convert it to NEGATIVE (12 volts is constant and and the ground is switched)? Sound right? Please help, as I want to get these daytime running lamps working again! Thanks.

Gjeep said:
I had working daytime running lamps on my 90 MJ...a DesignTech module that was working fine until this weekend when I installed my IPF upgrade lighting harness. It seems that the factory Jeep lights are a POSITIVE headlamp system (meaning 12 volts switched to the headlight and ground is constant) and the IPF's convert it to NEGATIVE (12 volts is constant and and the ground is switched)? Sound right? Please help, as I want to get these daytime running lamps working again! Thanks.
Yes, as far as I know thats how the lights work. If the IPF harness converts it a to negative system, I don't know or would see why. But regardless if the relay gets the signal from the orignal wiring then it should turn the lights on when it gets the signal whether it comes from you turning on the switch, or the DRL module. Of course if the DRL system actvates the high beem at a reduced voltage [like some of the GM vehicles] then it might not be enough voltage to trigger the relay. If so you might be able to splice the orignal wire into the harness at the light if the IPF harness uses the positive system so the light will still come on at the reduced voltage.

Back