NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old November 15th, 2017, 05:51
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Yet another death wobble help request

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakews2217 View Post
The drag link is parallel to the track bar.
I wasn't referring to the angle, you said you replaced all the tre's, on the draglink is one that can only be replaced by a "NEW" draglink!
Old November 15th, 2017, 07:13
NAXJA Forum User

Yet another death wobble help request

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP Phx View Post
I wasn't referring to the angle, you said you replaced all the tre's, on the draglink is one that can only be replaced by a "NEW" draglink!

Oh. Yea. It was replaced. I figured sence it is also a tre thatís what Iíd call it. But the funny part about today is Iím just the neighborhood jeep mechanic for me and my buddyís. Heís got a 93 xj with a starting issue and his keyless antenna in the headliner cought fire this morning. I have to replace a belt ( ate a rib off) on mine and replace my cracked exhaust header because when I tack welded it I made the air turbulent and not it runs at full rich. I get 4 mpg with my striker now and it lobes and idles bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old November 15th, 2017, 08:09
NAXJA Forum User

If you've got cracks in the frame you need to fix them "good" ! Then get a "steel" steering box mount, a "good" bumper that has full tie-in's. I also suggest something like a trackbar or steering brace.
https://www.quadratec.com/products/1...SABEgJ7qPD_BwE
http://www.boostwerksengineering.com...Brace_p_8.html
Old November 15th, 2017, 10:19
NAXJA Forum User

When you get some time, tell us the specs on your stroker build and the issues in another thread!
Old November 15th, 2017, 13:41
NAXJA Member

Quote:
If you've got cracks in the frame you need to fix them "good" ! Then get a "steel" steering box mount, a "good" bumper that has full tie-in's. I also suggest something like a trackbar or steering brace.
https://www.quadratec.com/products/1...SABEgJ7qPD_BwE
http://www.boostwerksengineering.com...Brace_p_8.html
Are these brackets custom built or store bought?

1996 XJ; 4.0L; AW4; NP231; SYE; D30 and D44; ECTED; 4.10 gears; 30X9.5 -15 BFG/AT/KO; 3" lift; Rusty's LCA; JKS ADJ UCA; Kevins ADJ Track bar; Drawtite Front Receiver; Dual Electric Fans; Dual Battaries.
Old November 15th, 2017, 14:50
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
When you get some time, tell us the specs on your stroker build and the issues in another thread!

Iíll do an update on the stroker when I rebuild it. Again. First rebuild was because a cam gear. Second was a bad wrist pin and I didnít wanna chance it. This time itís bottom end making my noise. Just an excuse to put a bigger cam in. Itís currently .060 over, mild cam, head worked over buy a reputable local, 4.0 rode, 258 crank and the auto.

Old November 15th, 2017, 16:34
Piece of Fish!

I would do a tape measure alignment for toe. See if that solves anything.
When I lifted my MJ, the cure was using my ironman4x4 tie rod. Stock is basically a toothpick.
I meow have WJ 30 under it with better steering and brakes.
blistovmhz: Goddamn Canada. We're all rapists. Don't come here.
Old November 16th, 2017, 02:05
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by techno1154 View Post
Are these brackets custom built or store bought?
It's a set I cut out for my last bumper!
Old November 16th, 2017, 19:11
NAXJA Forum User

Well. False positive. Welded and added a stiffener and it is worse. But I hear something that sounds like a hammer hitting the driver side floor when it wobbles. Also, itís harsh. Like it is almost impossible to hold on to. It also dives right when it wobbles.

Old November 17th, 2017, 18:30
NAXJA Forum User

Not to state the obvious, bur if you have not, id suggest to have a friend sit in the jeep and cycle the suspension lock to lock as you look very closely under the Jeep. The slightest part moving ever so slightly, can cause major issues. I found this out many times offroad, would have my girlfriend hope in the seat (BABE KEEP IT IN PARK &#129315 and bam, would easily find the issue i couldnt see otherwise.

Is the track bar tight at the unibody end?

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
Old December 4th, 2017, 17:31
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intellect View Post
Not to state the obvious, bur if you have not, id suggest to have a friend sit in the jeep and cycle the suspension lock to lock as you look very closely under the Jeep. The slightest part moving ever so slightly, can cause major issues. I found this out many times offroad, would have my girlfriend hope in the seat (BABE KEEP IT IN PARK &#129315 and bam, would easily find the issue i couldnt see otherwise.

Is the track bar tight at the unibody end?

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Sorry for letting this go dead. I had other issues come up. It still wobbles. I had done that many a times to see the lose parts. The trackbar is indeed tight on both ends. Iíll revisit the UCA on the driver side because it makes noise when it wobbles and I feelnit Iím the floor. Possable bushing didnít make it all the way in? Maybe Iíll jack it up and set it on stands and push and pull and see whatís loose. I just wanna say thanks to everyone whoís involved here. This thing has me scratching my head.

Old December 7th, 2017, 15:53
NAXJA Member #1145

As has been mentioned before- you're not wasting money, you're resetting the maintenance clock on all this stuff.

That said- EVERYTHING on the front end that moves needs to be replaced if you aren't seeing anything moving when you steer lock to lock.

I had this same problem on the wife's ZJ last year. I forklifted it everything in the front end that slides, rotates, or pivots (except for brake pads, calipers, R&P and those associated bearings) was replaced-

control arms with bushings
steering- from the draglink sttachment to the pitman, to the TREs at the wheels
wheel (hub) bearings
axle shaft ujoints
driveshaft ujoints
balljoints

And the problem went completely away.

Did you look at your steering box spacer? Bet it's broken too.
-90 XJ 4.0, AW4, 231J: Clayton's longarms, RE 5.5" coils, hybrid 6" leaf pack, 33/12.50/15" MTs, Rancho 99012s and 99624s, Tera HD SYE, custom sliders, BW flares. Rehabbing with D44s, RE spring packs, RE 4.5" coils, and ACOS.
-94 ZJ: Budget boost, 31s. The wife's DD.
-97 XJ: Son's DD. 4" lift, ACOS, 4" spring pack, Upcountry coils, 31s
Old December 13th, 2017, 15:07
NAXJA Forum User

That list is pretty much what I am doing to my current XJ that I'm also converting from 2WD to 4WD. It's low miles (105K), the last one I had was a 97 that I ran from 92K to 220K, redid the front end as you described and it ran straight and smooth the whole time. Last time was a 2" budget boost, this time is a 4" RE lift. Good stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burntkat View Post
As has been mentioned before- you're not wasting money, you're resetting the maintenance clock on all this stuff.

That said- EVERYTHING on the front end that moves needs to be replaced if you aren't seeing anything moving when you steer lock to lock.

I had this same problem on the wife's ZJ last year. I forklifted it everything in the front end that slides, rotates, or pivots (except for brake pads, calipers, R&P and those associated bearings) was replaced-

control arms with bushings
steering- from the draglink sttachment to the pitman, to the TREs at the wheels
wheel (hub) bearings
axle shaft ujoints
driveshaft ujoints
balljoints

And the problem went completely away.

Did you look at your steering box spacer? Bet it's broken too.
Old December 13th, 2017, 16:29
NAXJA Member #1145

I hear you. I'm in the process of doing the same to my son's 97 XJ now... and while I'll rehabbing my 90, I'll wind up doing all of this as well, just so when the darn thing is done, it's ready to go. Though cheap, I'm sick of paying insurance and tags on a vehicle that's just sitting there killing my grass.
-90 XJ 4.0, AW4, 231J: Clayton's longarms, RE 5.5" coils, hybrid 6" leaf pack, 33/12.50/15" MTs, Rancho 99012s and 99624s, Tera HD SYE, custom sliders, BW flares. Rehabbing with D44s, RE spring packs, RE 4.5" coils, and ACOS.
-94 ZJ: Budget boost, 31s. The wife's DD.
-97 XJ: Son's DD. 4" lift, ACOS, 4" spring pack, Upcountry coils, 31s
Old December 13th, 2017, 21:30
NAXJA Supporting Vendor

One thing that doesn't come up very often in DW threads is motor mounts. While bad motor mounts themselves don't necessarily cause DW, they can make a small shake a lot worse. The motor is after all the majority of the mass being tossed back and forth.

This video does a great job of showing this. Notice the opposite motion of the engine and axle...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07yvJuhnUYM
www.BoostwerksEngineering.com