NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old August 29th, 2017, 22:58
NAXJA Forum User

Anti theft

On my 98 xj I had a slide switch attached to the ignition and air bags so any unsuspecting thief that took a slide hammer to ignition would catch both airbags. Probably not legal but I'm not losing another xj!! Which leads me to the question does anyone have some kind of anti theft ideas I can set my 93 xj up with? No air bags and not interested in doing an interior swap. Already have multiple kill switches but would like the peace of mind knowing that anyone who tries to steal it gets their just desserts? Thank you for any feed back
Old September 1st, 2017, 11:31
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Anti theft

just add a hidden switch in a secret location that powers the coil or ecu or something. Problem is that you'd have to remember to turn it off every time you get out or it's pointless.
Old September 1st, 2017, 12:18
NAXJA Forum User

Years ago in my 88 MJ I wired in a 2nd ignition coil on a DPDT switch. The High voltage lead was connected to a piece of wire mesh under the factory seat cover. A thieves hand is grounded as he's messing with the steering lock.... It's a nasty surprise when they get it to crank.... Good for anti theft and messing with your friends who want to drive your rig...
Old September 1st, 2017, 12:49
Bring the Boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJRockstar View Post
Years ago in my 88 MJ I wired in a 2nd ignition coil on a DPDT switch. The High voltage lead was connected to a piece of wire mesh under the factory seat cover. A thieves hand is grounded as he's messing with the steering lock.... It's a nasty surprise when they get it to crank.... Good for anti theft and messing with your friends who want to drive your rig...
That's twisted...

And Hilarious
Old September 1st, 2017, 14:33
NAXJA Forum User

I use a 12v pulse based device--You intercept the desired wire(I went with the standard, ignition), and attach the control wire to the desired pulse circuit(wiper, high beam, or add a button). That's my theft "deterrent".

I'd like to add a proper anti-theft, to truly immobilize the vehicle. Currently, I'm thinking along the lines of an e-brake lock. It won't stop someone with a flatbed, but it'd deter just about anyone else. For an older XJ, I'd consider making a quick-disconnect for the factory steering wheel.

Jack
Old September 4th, 2017, 07:00
NAXJA Forum User

Anti theft

I knew a guy back in high school that had the same car stolen twice. So he set it up that he had to turn the key to run, push the rear defrost button, the cig lighter in and then he could turn the key to start the car. Never stolen again. Broken into like three more times tho.
Old September 4th, 2017, 08:54
NAXJA Forum User

I'd unplug the cps if I was parked somewhere overnight.