NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old April 21st, 2016, 13:56
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Radiator Fan Override Switch (The Easy Way)

The stray 12V+ is likely coming from the factory relay. When the ignition is on, 12V+ is being fed to one side of the factory relay's coil. It is just waiting for the other side of the coil to be grounded in order to activate.

My question would be why does the same ground that is completing the indicator light circuit not also cause the factory relay to activate? Hard to know what exactly the wiring inside the switch looks like so far as circuit isolation and/or multiple contacts goes.

Regardless, 12V+ coming to the bulb from both sides won't do anything as the circuit has no potential. When you flip the switch, pin 3 providing 12V- in place of that stray 12V+ should cause the light to turn on.
Old April 21st, 2016, 19:28
NAXJA Forum User

I have deleted the images from pbucket, so hopefully it won't get dug up much more. We're obviously years from being able to edit the posts, so sorry if it's still raining on your parade. My intention was to correct the bad info I was finding, and offer an alternative method to skin the same cat as easily. Cheers.

Last edited by hubs97xj; April 21st, 2016 at 19:32.
Old April 24th, 2016, 00:11
NAXJA Forum User

No worries hubs, your posts have been more than helpful over the many years you've been part of . It was a perfectly acceptable wiring diagram that you posted, it's just that in this particular thread, it was confusing folks who were just skimming through and not viewing it in context. Tons of threads on here discussing the approach you drew up of which I'm hoping your now deleted picture wasn't an integral part of.
Old August 7th, 2016, 21:51
NAXJA Forum User

Thanks, you idea sounds better than my idea of just splicing a switch in with power and fuse. I will need to re read it again to be sure of what I am doing.
Old December 3rd, 2016, 16:38
NAXJA Forum User

Great 6 year old write that's still helping people and inspired my first post. Did my 01 today. This mod works like a charm. I actually accessed most of the wires from inside the underneath of the distribution center. All solder and heat-shrink. Even used a switch with an LED indicator by disassembling the switch, reversing the diode leads and connecting the switches outer terminals reversed. Works like a charm. Thanks again.
Old December 4th, 2016, 11:31
NAXJA Forum User

Glad you found it helpful rixdafix, and strong work with re-rengineering your LED switch to work!
Old January 27th, 2017, 09:07
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixdafix View Post
Great 6 year old write that's still helping people and inspired my first post. Did my 01 today. This mod works like a charm. I actually accessed most of the wires from inside the underneath of the distribution center. All solder and heat-shrink. Even used a switch with an LED indicator by disassembling the switch, reversing the diode leads and connecting the switches outer terminals reversed. Works like a charm. Thanks again.
I'm doing this mod today and couldn't figure out a way to get the led switch to light properly and send a neg. signal so I was going to use a second relay to switch the signal polarity under the hood. Can you explain how you modified the switch? I'm using a Carline switch from OTRATTW.
It has an independent LED for the text and a dependent LED for the symbol when activated. Any help would be appreciated.
Old August 22nd, 2017, 08:09
NAXJA Forum User

I'm going to resurrect this thread, hopefully. I have a '99 with the aux fan switch wired to the battery because I got a CEL. Switch works great, but getting heat soak. Photobucket has updated their policies so I can't see the diagrams anymore on how to add in the ELK-960 timer. Can anyone provide the diagrams for the ELK-960? -Thanks