• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 xj sport 5.3 swap

sliders are JCR i believe.

yup napier flares, i dig them way more than bushwackers. i would do flat flare if i were to do it again tho, mostly cause i dont want to be missing half a rear flare when the doors come off

on another note, this thing is damn fun to drive! the confused looks on people faces hearing a v8 exhaust rumble out of an xj is priceless haha.

ive put near 200 miles on it so far with out much issue, no leaks( replaced the AA adapter t-case input seal again since i was having some seepage, slathered some rtv on the back of the seal before i drove it in) runs 195-205 with out asking, trans is running about 120-150*, got a code for bank 2 sensor on not working( i think i may have the wrong plug connected to it), the PS pump whines a bit, and im averaging 21.3 MPG. I'm getting a new windshield put in Thursday night and hopefully inspecting/registering it on saturday. the best part is i dont lose 5+MPH going up a slight hill, io think i still might need a tad deeper of a gear tho

the area around the shifter is a freaking furnace though, i need to figure a way to seal it up better and insulate it with a thick rubber boot or something

im averaging 21.3 MPG.

This is the sort of thing that is going to put me over the edge to do a V8 conversion.

Building a 4.6L stroker would be so much easier, but the real benefits come with a V8.

Are you hand calculating this? What sort of tune have you had done?

it what the torque app is telling me my over all average is. no tune really other than removed vats, fan controls, emissions set no report.

im sure my tank average will be less since the tank was leaking at the retun line when full, and its idled quite a bit before driving it around

This is the sort of thing that is going to put me over the edge to do a V8 conversion.

Building a 4.6L stroker would be so much easier, but the real benefits come with a V8.

if you look at dyno pulls a 4.6 stroker with all the boltons will put out around 270hp/330 tq at the crank, which is not far off from a base tune 5.3. the main reason i went 5.3 ofer a stroker was id still have lots of room to grow after the initial install. with a cam/heads and a good tune the 5.3 would be around 400 crank pretty easy

it what the torque app is telling me my over all average is. no tune really other than removed vats, fan controls, emissions set no report.

I'm sure my tank average will be less since the tank was leaking at the retun line when full, and its idled quite a bit before driving it around

Fair warning... Torque was reporting I was getting 16-18 when I was actually getting 10-11 with hand calculating. I think there are too many variables for Torque to be accurate.

Fair warning... Torque was reporting I was getting 16-18 when I was actually getting 10-11 with hand calculating. I think there are too many variables for Torque to be accurate.

we'll see, im around 200 miles on this tabk and by my estimating ive gone thru about 10-11 gallons (i guessing the first 1/4 tank is bout 11 gallons since its about 5 gallons per quarter stock, with the extra 6 gallons up top) so about 20 seems right to me, a real calculation will happen next tank since the trip counter will be set appropriatly

if you look at dyno pulls a 4.6 stroker with all the boltons will put out around 270hp/330 tq at the crank, which is not far off from a base tune 5.3. the main reason i went 5.3 ofer a stroker was id still have lots of room to grow after the initial install. with a cam/heads and a good tune the 5.3 would be around 400 crank pretty easy

Here's my thing. Yes I could have done a stroker, but its a built motor. I dont care what anyone says, built motors are not as reliable as stock motors. I'm going to have more power on my stock 5.3 motor than a built 4.6. Not to mention its a V8.

I still need to get mine running so...I dont know if I have room to talk lol

Yeah, I gotta say that when the time comes, it's gonna have to be a V8 for my heap. With those numbers, and the tighter the budget gets, how could I resist?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's my thing. Yes I could have done a stroker, but its a built motor. I dont care what anyone says, built motors are not as reliable as stock motors. I'm going to have more power on my stock 5.3 motor than a built 4.6. Not to mention its a V8.

I still need to get mine running so...I dont know if I have room to talk lol

your right there, the factory doesn't release they're vehicle with them at max HP, they dial it way back to increase reliability and longevity.

plus you gotta love that v8 rumble, th tractory 4.0L doesnt sounds as good

Yeah, I gotta say that when the time comes, it's gonna have to be a V8 for my heap. With those numbers, and the tighter the budget gets, how could I resist?

yea the origional 4.ol from my jeep had 253k a lifter tick leaked all over the place and was super slow, it was time for a new motor. i couldn help but go big and spring for the v8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see you employ the skateboard dolly as well.

Thing looks really nice.

yup other than my jack it was the only other wheely thing i had to scoot the trans around.

sliders are JCR i believe.

yup napier flares, i dig them way more than bushwackers. i would do flat flare if i were to do it again tho, mostly cause i dont want to be missing half a rear flare when the doors come off

on another note, this thing is damn fun to drive! the confused looks on people faces hearing a v8 exhaust rumble out of an xj is priceless haha.
Yeah I love my Napiers.

What gearing/tires are you running (maybe you already posted). Im running 30" and 3.73's on mine, avg about 18mpg and 14-16mpg while towing. I want to do 33" tires and 4.56 though,.....

Yeah I love my Napiers.

What gearing/tires are you running (maybe you already posted). Im running 30" and 3.73's on mine, avg about 18mpg and 14-16mpg while towing. I want to do 33" tires and 4.56 though,.....

im on 33x15xr15 cooper discoverer stt (older type) and 4.10s

highway acceleration isnt quite where i think it should be with that combo.

with the 4.0L i would get 14-16.5 depending on the % of city/highway and how much i babied the throttle.

i just fixed my 02 sensor problem( had the b2s1 plugged into a cat ho2 plug...oops) and removed my a-pillar lights in prep for installing a new windshield tomorrow. rtved the holes since theres rain in the forecast and knowing me, who knows when ill install them

also confirmed that the EVAP system is working

im on 33x15xr15 cooper discoverer stt (older type) and 4.10s

highway acceleration isnt quite where i think it should be with that combo.

with the 4.0L i would get 14-16.5 depending on the % of city/highway and how much i babied the throttle.
Your MPG's seem to be about right. The reason I want 4.56 with my future 33's is i want to keep my 0-60 time withing the 7 second range...while towing :laugh3:.

now that ive got the 02 sesnor work it right, the idles smoothed out quite a bit. tourque says im getting 23 now, but i dont think i belive that yet. seems like ive gone thru more fuel than that

changed the oil today after work, also had a bit of a coolant leak from the upper rad hose at the water pump.

jeep didnt go anywhere today, went and got a new windshield installed yesterday after work, and the guy wouldn't slap my old registration sticker back on, so i didn't want to risk getting pulled over. if all goes well i should have it legal tomorrow. hopefully i'll squeeze in a trip to the junkyard.

Back