NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA's Technical Forums > OEM Tech Discussion
Register FAQ Users List Calendar Mark Forums Read
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Donate Bylaws Store Members Chat E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old April 9th, 2012, 13:16
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Replacing AW4 Transmission...FML

So then if checking my solenoids at the harness near the TCU isn't right where should I do it? The black and gray connector near the trans dipstick?
Old April 9th, 2012, 13:19
NAXJA Member

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos

Won't matter, either one is fine. You *should* get the same measurement - same color codes on the wires.

I suspect your solenoids are bad, but I'm not sure if replacing them will fix all the problems.
CTeunuch: Sometimes I really wonder if this sport makes you insane, or it just attracts the mentally unstable.
Old April 9th, 2012, 19:02
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastein View Post
Won't matter, either one is fine. You *should* get the same measurement - same color codes on the wires.

I suspect your solenoids are bad, but I'm not sure if replacing them will fix all the problems.
Should I get used ones from a Junkyard or buy them online?
Old April 9th, 2012, 19:13
NAXJA Member

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos

If you are pulling them yourself at the yard, bring your DMM and measure them before pulling, make sure you aren't pulling a known bad set. I would pull two sets actually (if they put the vehicles up on stands anyways - it would suck to pull more than needed if they are lying on the ground), they probably won't charge you much. You can get a new pan gasket + filter kit to install at the same time (since you'll need the gasket anyways) - it's ATP part number B112 available on rockauto or amazon for around 25 bucks shipped.
CTeunuch: Sometimes I really wonder if this sport makes you insane, or it just attracts the mentally unstable.
Old April 10th, 2012, 06:07
NAXJA Forum User

http://www.amazon.com/ATP-B-112-Auto...63194&sr= 1-1

I found this one one ebay its $19.32 shipped;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Automatic-Tr...ht_1399wt_1139

Are both of those the correct ones? Also what is the easiest way to test the solenoids if the pan is dropped?
Old April 10th, 2012, 06:10
NAXJA Member

That's the one!

With the pan dropped you can test them with a 12 volt battery (even a little lawn/garden battery will work.) Negative to the transmission housing, positive to the connector on the solenoid, you should hear them click. You can check resistance the same way - meter probe to transmission housing, other meter probe to the connector.
Old April 10th, 2012, 15:55
NAXJA Forum User

This one is even cheaper!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FT1102-AUTOM...#ht_1958wt_952

I'll probably buy this one
Old April 10th, 2012, 16:11
NAXJA Member

That one has a cork gasket that will require rtv but otherwise should be fine. If you are going to do that I would really just rtv the pan like the factory did though - the reason I like the rubber gasket is you can use it a few times if you are careful and dropping the pan frequently for a while (I.e. if replacing the solenoids doesn't help, or to check the solenoids before buying replacements.)
Old April 10th, 2012, 16:42
Oh the huge manatee

x2 on getting a better, rubber gasket.
Old April 10th, 2012, 16:49
NAXJA Member

who makes the "better rubber gasket?" I got one from Carquest and it seemed OK, not sure if it was all rubber or rubber coated cork but it was just rectangular cross section. Works OK but don't know if I would trust it for reuse. Is there one similar to the Fel-Pro valve cover gasket? I know that Lube Locker doesn't make one. However it seems like less of an issue for the AW4 because the screen isn't that fine and there's a drain plug... is it really a problem to do a drain and fill periodically without inspecting the screen (assuming that you changed it sometime within the past 100K miles)
Old April 10th, 2012, 18:49
NAXJA Member

I wish there was but there isn't really a reason for it. It's more that the all-rubber one is better if you're going to take the pan on and off a few times in a few weeks possibly, while that cork/rubber one will probably only work for a single use.