• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what causes high idle?

Yep, $69 and it says it does live data?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBD-...t=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item2a0c7bffc9

and others:

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/__?_from=R40&_trksid=p3841.m39.l1313&_nkw=obd2%20scanner&_sacat=&rvr_id=187288065948&MT_ID=335&crlp=2569367896_9887&tt_encode=raw&geo_id=491&keyword=obd2+scanner&adgroup_id=1126579246

Edit: JESUS!!!! This one does live scans on your computer via USB with an OBD-II to USB gadget and software for your laptop all for $9.99 buy it now?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hell I just ordered one! Note the shipping is about $20, LOL.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AUTO...t=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item3cb384f007

Some of these scanners now have blue tooth, so I guess they can interface with android apps on the new smart phones instead of using a laptop. ET Phone HOME!

Last edited:
If it is not using any oil, and running on synthetic 3% gasoline you have no worries! LOL. I tired synthetic on my 278,000 mile 87, and could not pour it in fast enough!!!!LOL

Yeah, she doesn't burn any oil but she's starting to sound like a diesel engine????????

Okay, looks like I would run the Bosch/Ford 4-hole disc-type fuel injectors (XF2E-CB) which are 232.99 for a set of 6 injectors. That’s not a bad price, especially since they are suppose to be a little better than the stock OE injectors.

The problem with chunks of junk coming loose is the oil going through the oil pump is not filtered on the way in, only screened! And if a bunch of hard carbon came loose it can clog the oil pump inlet screen, and what gets through the screen can trash the oil pump, and do engine damage if it seizes. I lost my only broken oil pump, and a little later engine, that way, 78 Dodge V-8, from gas getting in the oil of a 350,000 mile engine.

Yeah, scary times.......

I bought a half decent OBD-II scanner at Walmart 2 years ago, for about $120. They have gotten cheaper, and I suspect if you shop online (check Ebay also) that you could get one that shows live data for stuff like fuel trim, O2 sensor data, coolant temp....... for under $200 easy! Might be worth it for you in the long run!

I was wondering if those were affordable or not. I might have to look into one of those.

I would be VERY afraid to drive it 40 miles with 3% gasoline in the oil!!!!!

Well, I changed the oil as soon as I got my UOA back. Even with 3% gas in the oil, the Amsoil was still lubricating. No wear metals showed in the UOA. I drive between 250 - 300 miles per month, so I'll pull another oil sample in February or so.

Bummer! "Buy It Now is no longer available. Another user has already purchased this item with Buy It Now." I bet you bought it! LOL

Just look for another duplicate auction, there must a hundred of them for the same scanner by 2-3 ebay sellers. Note that the shipping cost varies between them!!!

Just look for another duplicate auction, there must a hundred of them for the same scanner by 2-3 ebay sellers. Note that the shipping cost varies between them!!!

Did you buy it? The same buyer has 7 more for sale, so I bought one.

$9.99 for the AUTO SCANNER, OBDII, OBD2, OBD II, 2 CAN BUS USB SCAN TOOL
$11.99 shipping
Total: $21.98

Yep, I ordered one, could not pass it up, as my daughter bought 2001 Saturn this summer, and my son still has a 1996 Ford. I can use when they bring their friends over with newer vehicles and questions too.

I almost bought a half dozen for Christmas presents, LOL!

I see it also is CAN compliant, which was a 2003 change in OBD-II. Many of the scanners are not CAN complaint and can not read 2003 and newer!

Last edited:
I just went through a frustrating couple of weeks with intermittent high idle, occasional unintended acceleration, a few stalls thrown in for good measure, and general roughness and crappy MPGs. This is AFTER I installed 'new' injectors, and a brand new IAC and TPS. Finally it threw a code, letting me know it was the TPS, a new Standard piece from Rock Auto. I went to the JY and got a variety of previously loved IACs ans TPSs. A relatively low mile (104k) TPS solved the problem! What I did was use Rock Auto's 'interactive catalog' to cross reference just what year parts are compatible with my '96. Possibly the OP could also do this, and maybe eliminate funky sensors and controllers one by one. I've contacted Rock Auto about the TPS, and with no hesitation they've offered to let me return it. I bought the best item they offered, and still a 15 year old JY piece did the trick?......

I just went through a frustrating couple of weeks with intermittent high idle, occasional unintended acceleration, a few stalls thrown in for good measure, and general roughness and crappy MPGs. This is AFTER I installed 'new' injectors, and a brand new IAC and TPS. Finally it threw a code, letting me know it was the TPS, a new Standard piece from Rock Auto. I went to the JY and got a variety of previously loved IACs ans TPSs. A relatively low mile (104k) TPS solved the problem! What I did was use Rock Auto's 'interactive catalog' to cross reference just what year parts are compatible with my '96. Possibly the OP could also do this, and maybe eliminate funky sensors and controllers one by one. I've contacted Rock Auto about the TPS, and with no hesitation they've offered to let me return it. I bought the best item they offered, and still a 15 year old JY piece did the trick?......

That’s the only problem with the 4.0L, there are so many parts that impact fuel economy, idle speed, temperature, fuel, exhaust, etc. By the time you start replacing parts, you have a lot of money consumed into a high mileage engine that may already have wore out parts such as injectors, sensors, engine parts, seals, gaskets, etc. This is why I’m saving up for a new engine and replacing everything with new parts. This will cost me a lot of money on the initial setup, but when I’m done, it will be like a new jeep. Heck, I already spent $3,000 just for all new suspension parts. Now I just need a new drivetrain and I’ll be like NEW.

Yep, I ordered one, could not pass it up. I almost bought a half dozen for Christmas presents, LOL!

It’s being shipped from China, so we might have to wait awhile. Let me know when you get yours.

I see it also is CAN compliant, which was a 2003 change in OBD-II. Many of the scanners are not CAN complaint and can not read 2003 and newer!

Sweet!

That’s the only problem with the 4.0L, there are so many parts that impact fuel economy, idle speed, temperature, fuel, exhaust, etc. By the time you start replacing parts, you have a lot of money consumed into a high mileage engine that may already have wore out parts such as injectors, sensors, engine parts, seals, gaskets, etc. This is why I’m saving up for a new engine and replacing everything with new parts. This will cost me a lot of money on the initial setup, but when I’m done, it will be like a new jeep. Heck, I already spent $3,000 just for all new suspension parts. Now I just need a new drivetrain and I’ll be like NEW.

LOL, I have 278,000 miles on my 87, and about $4,000 (not including tires, batteries and the like) in Jeep parts invested in it since I bought it at 224,000, and the only thing I did not replace the last 6 years was the ENGINE, AW4, drive train, transfer case and sheet metal!!!!!

If it does not have a 6" hole in the block from throwing a rod, I say put the money into all the other stuff!!!

Although I must admit I have put in new seals everywhere, new crank shaft sleeve bearings, a new harmonic balancer, and rebuilt distributor.

I was in a hurry, and I missed the China shipping deal. I thought it was in the USA. Must have been thinking of another auction as I scanned about 200 on the run. Working on four non running beasts my self today.

I am in Houston, and I have gotten surprisingly fast service from overseas lately, Australia and China.

Last edited:
If it does not have a 6" hole in the block from throwing a rod, I say put the money into all the other stuff!!!

Now you're talkin'! I put the 4” DPG OME Hybrid kit on this summer. I have a JCR front bumper and Rock Lizard Fabrications’ rock rails waiting to get sprayed. I’m waiting for JCR to have a sale on their rear bumpers so I can order one of those. Here’s a pic taken this summer after the lift was installed.

33846874015_large.jpg

I guess I need to check the PO Box. May be waiting on me? I have been too busy chasing nomad gremlins in 5 vehicles here since I ordered it!Hasta

The Nomad Gremlins have been having been having
:party:here lately!

I guess I need to check the PO Box. May be waiting on me?

Yeah, go check your P.O. Box, it might help you find your gremlins.

I have been too busy chasing nomad gremlins in 5 vehicles here since I ordered it!Hasta

Gesh, what are you doing to your vehicles?

The Nomad Gremlins have been having
:party:here lately!

It sure sounds like it. You might be breeding them.

Oh, and on a side note, my high idle has disappeared, or at least for now.:guitar:

Did you or anyone else ever buy some and test some of the software upgrades yet?

Yeah, go check your P.O. Box, it might help you find your gremlins.

Gesh, what are you doing to your vehicles?

It sure sounds like it. You might be breeding them.

Oh, and on a side note, my high idle has disappeared, or at least for now.:guitar:

has anyone had any problems with connecting the USB versions to laptops running XP Pro?
my dad was trying to use it the other day and it said it was looking for the correct com port?

He probably just needs to try different COM ports in the software itself, tell he finds one that works.

I skipped the XP operating systems. Went from 2000 to Vista.

Back