• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford Ranger VS Jeep XJ

so the advantages of having Deavers or Nats is that the spring will be more stiff? less stiff? what is it that makes them better? I know they come with more leafs to a pack but what does that actually do?

The are a very progressive leaf. Basically by having more thinner leafs you are able to have More progression in the spring rate, soft in the begging and slowly gets stiffer as it compresses.

I wish there were more sub-forums dealing with other types of racing and building these XJs since the XJ is very versatile.

what other types of racing do we see XJ's in, that would need their own forum?

so the advantages of having Deavers or Nats is that the spring will be more stiff? less stiff? what is it that makes them better? I know they come with more leafs to a pack but what does that actually do?

Deavers and Nationals also have a "triple wrap" on the front spring eye which helps the spring live longer, fights axle wrap, and helps you cross the finish line if you break the main leaf.

Is there a better platform for a pre runner\ trail rig (has to have 4x4)????????????

V-8 explorer with front and rear nines with coilovers front and rear?

Haha. I was thinking Bronco!!! :eyes: They never made a 2wd Bronco :rof:

Too big for a real trail rig but mild stuff they can handle. I took mine out through some fairly tall rocks in JV to watch KOH.

Jim, you need to go play in Baja with Tony and the FSB guys. I think a couple of them have some speed.

Haha. I was thinking Bronco!!! :eyes: They never made a 2wd Bronco :rof:

Too big for a real trail rig but mild stuff they can handle. I took mine out through some fairly tall rocks in JV to watch KOH.

Jim, you need to go play in Baja with Tony and the FSB guys. I think a couple of them have some speed.
Hahaha I'd be ok with that if I wasn't such a horrible passenger!

Just think about 21" front and 28" rear, not to mention the ease of a cheap V-8!!!! Jim, you are coming with me next time we test the pro-truck! The dark side is coming!

truck%204.jpg

That's one invitation you CAN"T pass up.:party:

Mike actually wheeled it Moab a little, But compared to the buggy we had with 20" of travel, the XJ is just not that cool.

Yeah but you don't have AC in the buggy

I disagree. For the money you won't.

If we're talking building both to their potential using stock style suspension, yes, the Ranger is going to most likely hand you your ass. It's IFS, that's where the XJ falls behind. With that being said, if your buddy put the same amount of $$ into his suspension as I have my XJ, I'd probably give him a pretty good run for his money, and most likely walk him. XJ's are cheap to build.

Also, look at the times between the 1450 class and the 1700 class. The times are pretty damn close between the two, 1450 class is stock style suspension btw, leaf spring, etc.

I've surprised quite a few rangers, but you won't get any of the ranger guys to really admit that.

With that being said, if I were going to build something, and money wasn't an issue, it wouldn't be an XJ. I'd build a standard cab short bed f150, linked and beamed and call it a day.

Gonna have to call you out on this one Jim. Rich is right. The Ranger will blow an XJ away in the desert. Is the XJ a better all arounder, absolutely. Can it do pretty decent, yes, you have seen mine, yours, andy's and craigs all hold their own. However, that is not going to compete well with an Ranger.

The guys that race the Class 9 I chase for, the driver has a Ford Ranger, 4 banger, on 31s.... entry level camburg LT kit , Fox 2.0 coilover, a set of deavers in the rear, and a fox 2.0 resi. The front includes radius arms and beams and it spanks the living crap out of a ton of stuff... he has walked away from his brother in a bronco with a Camburg LT kit....

So, lets look at costs:
Ranger:
Camburg LT kit ($2000 regular price, but subtract $500 for not including coils and shocks)
total: $1500
Fox 2.0 Colover: $800

Total: Approx $2300

Rear is negligeable because leafs and shocks are going to be similar cost for a ranger and a xj.

XJ:
Deaver Coils: $250
Upper and Lower Contral Arms: $500 (Short Arms assuming)
Drop Brackets: $250
Heavy Duty Track Bar: $250
Unibody Plating $200
Shocks: $500 (Assuming a 2.0 resi)
Axle bracing (You can choose to not do this, but I think you know what happens to the D30 if you do not): $200

Total: $2150

For $250 difference in the Ranger, you will have 12-14" of usable travel in the front, in the XJ, 10" at best.

In the rear, that same deaver leaf pack, and 2.0 shock in the ranger will pul 12-14" iof you stay under the bed, or $16 if you can put in a bedcage, the cheroke 10-12" max..... (unless you go spring under, et etc etc, at which point, I would spend more on the ranger, and therefore up the ante....)

Enough said....????

So, sum it up:

Dezert: Ranger all day long, the unibody doesnt do well
All around use: Hands down the XJ, rocks, light whoops, etc etc etc

Matter of fact Jim, I have a crispy $100 bill that says my buddies 4 cyl ranger will hand you your XJ. Call it 5 miles through one of the sections in the Barstow course........and by the way, he has less than 10k in his ranger including cost of the truck (somewhere around 6 or 7)

Matter of fact Jim, I have a crispy $100 bill that says my buddies 4 cyl ranger will hand you your XJ. Call it 5 miles through one of the sections in the Barstow course........and by the way, he has less than 10k in his ranger including cost of the truck (somewhere around 6 or 7)
I'll take that bet :D Give me time to get my junk back and running and it might be fun.

This has been one of the most interesting threads ive read in a long time!

Current suspension is toast, it's going bye bye with the cage, so no. On 2.5's with a hoop.

Hmmmmm, I would probably say still no problem....Although that does change the parameters..... .You will have dropped quite a bit more... Ewww, I still think the Ranger will get ya.

Any side bets here? Curt????

Back