• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

detours backbone

builder

NAXJA Forum User
Interested in keeping xj as stock looking as possible and really like the backbone system. just wanted to know from anyone living in hot country like i do if they have any overheating problems with this set up? especially driving the freeways. i am in flamingo heights/ yucca valley and it gets straight up hot here ..thanks

Unless you're running a massive winch like the Powerplant, you shouldn't have an issue. I haven't heard of anybody having cooling issues even with the Powerplant as long as their radiator wasn't already worn out. Air will go around the winch, and it's a big radiator to begin with. Keep the radiator clean (ie, hose out the radiator fins after you go mudding) and you'll be good.

My Backbone doesn't have the winch plate so I can't comment on over heating issues. But I can say this is a solid recovery system!

Mark will most likely chime in, he frequents Naxja

jon2.jpg

I built a receiver type system close to the Detours back bone. It is 1/4" plate bolted to the crossmember and tied into the bumper mounts and towhook mounts.

I keep the winch on a reciever mount with a disconnect for the power and it is only on the Jeep when needed.
DSC04513.jpg

My Backbone doesn't have the winch plate so I can't comment on over heating issues. But I can say this is a solid recovery system!

Mark will most likely chime in, he frequents Naxja

jon2.jpg
whoa whoa whoa.

That front is sik! Anymore pics? curious how beefy it is. Where did you get it?
I sold my Rigidco because it was just too fawkin big and I never had planned on getting a winch.

I built a receiver type system close to the Detours back bone. It is 1/4" plate bolted to the crossmember and tied into the bumper mounts and towhook mounts.

I keep the winch on a reciever mount with a disconnect for the power and it is only on the Jeep when needed.
DSC04513.jpg

Do you have any pics with the bumper off? I have started on mine but would just like to get some idea's
O also is the hole in the center of the bumper.
Thanks

Interested in keeping xj as stock looking as possible and really like the backbone system. just wanted to know from anyone living in hot country like i do if they have any overheating problems with this set up? especially driving the freeways. i am in flamingo heights/ yucca valley and it gets straight up hot here ..thanks
lmao, yeah and gets even hotter down here in palm desert...:eek: this is what i was looking into, winch on the front end covering valuable air space?????118 temps, hmmm??????

whoa whoa whoa.

That front is sik! Anymore pics? curious how beefy it is. Where did you get it?
I sold my Rigidco because it was just too fawkin big and I never had planned on getting a winch.

Its just the Detours Backbone with no winch plate and no bumper over top of it like ChuglyXJ's Jeep has. I have cut the lower fender on the front as well.

Here is a link to Detours

http://www.detoursusa.com/xjbackbone.php

Back