• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

VIDEO QUESTION: Lights

ogilviexj

NAXJA Forum User
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB-kI72hjf4

Hey guys, so here is my problem, no brake lights. And no low beams after about 2 mins

questions to be answered if possible.

1. how many powerwires go to the brake light switch? diagram would be GREAT.
2. The rear lights have an "extra" small bulb with the yellow rubber that goes into the side of the rear light housing, I have pressed all my buttons but it doesn't light, what is this bulb for?
3. Head lights low beam works, for about 2 mins and then they cut out. Hi-beams still work fine.
4. Here is an interesting one. I got this jeep cheap but it didnt start, turns out it does start but will not if the brake pedal is depressed. if you don't touch the brake or 4ways it will start everytime without worries. Any ideas?

Thanks, trying to fix this stuff this weekend.
Thanks
OgilvieXJ

ogilviexj said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB-kI72hjf4

Hey guys, so here is my problem, no brake lights. And no low beams after about 2 mins

questions to be answered if possible.

1. how many powerwires go to the brake light switch? diagram would be GREAT.
2. The rear lights have an "extra" small bulb with the yellow rubber that goes into the side of the rear light housing, I have pressed all my buttons but it doesn't light, what is this bulb for?
3. Head lights low beam works, for about 2 mins and then they cut out. Hi-beams still work fine.
4. Here is an interesting one. I got this jeep cheap but it didnt start, turns out it does start but will not if the brake pedal is depressed. if you don't touch the brake or 4ways it will start everytime without worries. Any ideas?

Thanks, trying to fix this stuff this weekend.
Thanks
OgilvieXJ

1. That depends on if you have cruise or not. I think
2.This bulb is a side clearance light
3. Do the high beams ever cut out after a certain amount of time? My bet is it is the high beam switch on the steering column about half way down on the driver side. It has a rod going to it. Find the power wire and the wire that goes to the low beams and bypass it. If the problem does not come back, then get a new switch. If it does then it might be the actual headlight switch.
4. Is it an automatic? When the brake is depressed, does the key not turn? Or does it turn, engage the starter and the engine won't start? If the key won't turn then it might be the cable that leads from the column to the shifter.

Hope this helps

1. That depends on if you have cruise or not. I think
2.This bulb is a side clearance light
3. Do the high beams ever cut out after a certain amount of time? My bet is it is the high beam switch on the steering column about half way down on the driver side. It has a rod going to it. Find the power wire and the wire that goes to the low beams and bypass it. If the problem does not come back, then get a new switch. If it does then it might be the actual headlight switch.
4. Is it an automatic? When the brake is depressed, does the key not turn? Or does it turn, engage the starter and the engine won't start? If the key won't turn then it might be the cable that leads from the column to the shifter.
1. No cruise
2. oh... got it. Thanks
3. nope, highs work great. will try the wires
4. Standard. 5spd. Key turns over but NOTHING happens.

ogilviexj said:
1. No cruise
2. oh... got it. Thanks
3. nope, highs work great. will try the wires
4. Standard. 5spd. Key turns over but NOTHING happens.

Elec. demons are the most sadistic of the group. As far as I know, when it comes to key starting there are only several items to look at.
1. Ignition switch on the column to the right of the high beam switch. From there...
2. Clutch cancel switch. Pretty self explanitory. Then...
3. Starter relay. A small relay box on the right apron just behind the battery. It has a large lug with about five fusable links on it. A green wire leaves that and goes...
4. Starter solenoid. Loacted on the top of the starter. Has the small green wire and a large (8ga) battery lead.

That is just what activates the starter, as far as activating the fuel pump, or the ignition, that is handled by the ECM.

edited for my horrible grammer.

Hallo Jeeper. On my '92 I have 6 wires at the brakeswitch.
The white and the red make a bridge inside for the brakelights.(make)
The others are a bridge for the auto and for the cruiscontrol. (break):yap:

Last edited:
Back