• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pilot bearing bushing

MiNi Beast

NAXJA Forum User
ok need to know the deal here, in the middle of swap.
ok pulled 2wd Ax-15 to be replace with a AX-15/231 but the shafts had different sizes, so bushings are different, so what bushing do I need?

this is tranny going in....
100_1234.jpg

THe one on top fits the tranny but not the block hole, and this bearing is from a renix block, the one on bottom is from the H.O. block which I just pulled it out. The top one is just slightly bigger than the bottom one.
100_1245.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Beast,
Did you call me yesterday? the whole thing was broken up and I couldn't tell what you wanted. I have no clue on this one. Hopefully I won't have that problem when I do mine though.

use the one that fits the engine block, I did it the other way and drove for about a month with the most horrific grinding noise everytime I shifted. cost me 400 bucks to get the right one put in
:viking:

asatxj said:
Hey Beast,
Did you call me yesterday? the whole thing was broken up and I couldn't tell what you wanted. I have no clue on this one. Hopefully I won't have that problem when I do mine though.

yeah I did, but lost on this. but I guess in 92 they changed the bushing size so this is my problem, the bushing that came out is the right O.D. but the I.D is to big, whereas the renix is the right I.D. but has a slightly bigger O.D.. About to start grinding :gonnablow but that won't work very well. Percison grap!

H8PVMT said:
use the one that fits the engine block, I did it the other way and drove for about a month with the most horrific grinding noise everytime I shifted. cost me 400 bucks to get the right one put in
:viking:

Even though the bushing is not tight on the shaft? What u mean by other way?

my problem IIRC was that the bearing didn't fit in the block (too small) so we made a shoulder for it so that it would fit in tight, needless to say it didn't work for long

Yea you can do the swap but you need the right bushing.The bushing you need is from a 73 cj-5 304ci with 4speed pilot bushing.I got mine from the local parts store when I did my ax15 swap under the motormite brand.(sorry I dont have the part# handy)
It is an oil impregnated bushing and has the right I.D for the ax15 input shaft......

the part that I hi-lighted with red dots is a crank spacer for the stock pilot bearing.I can't for the life of me remember if I had to remove the spacer for the cj-5 bushing to fit the crank or if I left it in(I think you remove it).You will know what to do when you get the cj-5 bushing I mentioned in my first post.....

edit:part number is motormite 14674
http://www.autozone.com/N,11200137/shopping/partTypeResultSet.htm

Last edited:
I've had one in my 89 w/ swapped in ax15 for two years now.....BTW I dont know if you noticed or not but I just edited my above post to include part number.....HTH.

Last edited:
outlander said:
I've had one in my 89 w/ swapped in ax15 for two years now.....BTW I dont know if you noticed or not but I just edited my above post to include part number.....HTH.

Ok just went to part store and looked at the bushing and it is bigger than the one I have in the top pic. I have a 93 engine with a 1in O.D. that needs a bushing with an I.D. of .719in

take out the crank spacer and the cj-5 bushing should fit(measure the O.D of the cj-5 bushing and then the crank without the spacer first).....did you measure the O.D of the cj-5 bushing while you were there?

Last edited:
outlander said:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=70388&highlight=Let+this+be+THE+Peugeot+to+AX-15+swap+thread%21.

edit:5-90 appears to have beaten me to it....

It would be news to me if jeep changed the size of the crank bore.

renix crank vs a H.O. crank different size hole.

trying to get a hold of Vetteboy, he did the sam swap, 89 manual into a 94 H.O. 2wd and he had to have a bearing made up for it.

So looking like it is going to be a few days for this thing gets back together.

I ran into this problem before. I found a machine shop with a $25 min. charge and had them turn down the o.d. of the bearing u have pictured on top to match the o.d. of the one on bottom. Works fine. That was a few years ago And I have had no probs. I did it again one time after the clutch went bad.

Well went to a machine shop today to have the one 89 bearing sleeve turned down to the proper O.D., but we all had reservations on how well it would work, so we just decided to have a bronze bushing made up to the correct specs.
Specs being...
O.D.= 1.000in
I.D.= .5934in
And cost is less then $20.

Back