• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

16" Liberty rims on my XJ

seanyb505

NAXJA Forum User
I found a good deal on five 16" Liberty rims with tires on them ($350) and I got them installed today. I like it, it kinda looks like a newer version of the early 90s five spoked that are on the Jurassic Park YJ. When the goodyears are done Ill be going with some 255/55/16s, probly UHP General Grabbers. Anyway, here are some before and after shots.

Before:
DSC00449.jpg

DSC00450.jpg

After:
DSC00457.jpg

DSC00455.jpg

Best parts about it - I get a full size spare with a brand new tire, and after weighing one of each style, the Liberty rims weigh 46 lbs compared to the old steelies at 59 lbs! Math works out to a 51 lb reduction of unsprung weight.

I like it.....different look for an XJ. Just watch those tires in the rain...

whats the cinde3r block for?

lol Every single one of my hubs are sporting 4 lugs...I went to go buy a lug set but they stuck out 3/4" and looked quite homosexual. Ill have to go to the junk yard and grab 4 lugs.

seanyb505 said:
lol Every single one of my hubs are sporting 4 lugs...I went to go buy a lug set but they stuck out 3/4" and looked quite homosexual. Ill have to go to the junk yard and grab 4 lugs.

And here I was thinking it was an attempt to decrease the rotating mass.:spin1:

~Alex

seanyb505 said:
I found a good deal on five 16" Liberty rims with tires on them ($350) and I got them installed today. I like it, it kinda looks like a newer version of the early 90s five spoked that are on the Jurassic Park YJ. When the goodyears are done Ill be going with some 255/55/16s, probly UHP General Grabbers. Anyway, here are some before and after shots.

Before:
DSC00449.jpg

DSC00450.jpg

After:
DSC00457.jpg

DSC00455.jpg

Best parts about it - I get a full size spare with a brand new tire, and after weighing one of each style, the Liberty rims weigh 46 lbs compared to the old steelies at 59 lbs! Math works out to a 51 lb reduction of unsprung weight.

Your Jeep looks great. THose new wheels beat the hell out of the old steel wheels. :clap:

That's the newest home brew mod "ghetto wheel balancing" just take one lug off at a time (two at a time if Interco's) until you find the least amount of tire hop....

In all seriousness dude, go buy a freaking lug nut, the 5th one is not the "optional" lug nut.

BTW is that the one your stroker is going in?

Last edited:
I shall pay for no such lug when you can fit one in your pocket at the junkyard. Sadly I ran it for about 3k miles missing 4 lugs. Its been sitting since May of last year, except for the occasional, "get that out of a guest spot", and "we towed it because it didnt have a lisence plate." Once I get a working transmission in, yes, the engine will come out and return as a 4.6.

I needed a lug nut this last round at the JY. I did pay for the 2000 intake mani, center console lid, and Taurus fan.

So, let me get this right, does the KJ rim stick further out (wider stance) than the factory XJ rim? The factory KJ had a few nice looking rims..............

As far as I can tell, the KJ rim has the exact amount of backspacing. I havent measured or anything, but the rim or tires do no stick out any farther than my old rims. You may want to check each rim design, I think some KJs are 5 on 5 not 5 on 4.5, which is what the XJ is.

As far as I can tell, the KJ rim has the exact amount of backspacing. I havent measured or anything, but the rim or tires do no stick out any farther than my old rims. You may want to check each rim design, I think some KJs are 5 on 5 not 5 on 4.5, which is what the XJ is.

I did a little bit of research. All KJ's have a 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern. It appears that the XJ has a backpacking of 5.25 inches. The backspacing for the KJ is 5.5 inches. There were two wheel options offered for the KJ, the 16 X 7 rim and the 17 X 7.5 rim. The factory tire that came mounted on my KJ factory rims was a 235/65R17. I am currently running 15X7 Cragar Soft 8 wheels (4 inches of backspacing) with Toyo Open Country A/T 30X9.50R15 on my Liberty. I sometimes run the 16X8 Mopar Rubicon Moab wheels (5 inches of backspacing) on my Jeep Liberty. I hope this information helps

Back