• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stroker's & Ca. Smog

FarmerMatt

NAXJA Forum User
Well My 2 years were up, & it was time to face the smog man with the stroker installed. I live in a "high attainment" area where they put the rig on a dyno & run it at 15mph & 25mph. At 15mph the N.O. was close, but passed within reason & was well withing the limit at 25mph. This is with 30 Ford Motorsport injectors. In short the smog man didn't even look at me funny & gave me my ticket for the next 2 years. Strokers can be smogged in Ca. so stroke away. :thumbup:

Matt

FarmerMatt said:
Well My 2 years were up, & it was time to face the smog man with the stroker installed. I live in a "high attainment" area where they put the rig on a dyno & run it at 15mph & 25mph. At 15mph the N.O. was close, but passed within reason & was well withing the limit at 25mph. This is with 30 Ford Motorsport injectors. In short the smog man didn't even look at me funny & gave me my ticket for the next 2 years. Strokers can be smogged in Ca. so stroke away. :thumbup:

Matt

Gawd, I can't believe those 30's made it through. Nice work. I'm going with 26's.

Pistons and rods are on the way.......the cam is just a phone call and some $$$$$$ away.

CRASH

I thought for sure I'd have to lean it out before I smogged it also. I planned to do it too, but lazy Gary still has my 24# injectors & I knew the stock ones would be way too lean so I said screw it & run it like it is. They through it on the tread mill & ran a diagnostic first to make sure I wouldn't be classified as a gross polluter & found that it was within range. It's a beautiful thing when it all works out.

Matt

That's awesome. I'd be losing sleep the night before the smog check, thinking about time/cash invested and the chance it might not pass.

Any idea what cam you're running? I've got the Hesco RV cam, (it's been stored in the spare bedroom closet for quite a few years now. :) ) Just wondering how they'd compare lift, durationwise, etc. Are you 30 or 60 over? Besides the injector size, these (cam + bore) should be the most influential on the smog results, right? TIA

No wonder Andy and Richard are going stroker, they're tired of getting their butts whopped! :)

FarmerMatt said:
I thought for sure I'd have to lean it out before I smogged it also. I planned to do it too, but lazy Gary still has my 24# injectors & I knew the stock ones would be way too lean so I said screw it & run it like it is. They through it on the tread mill & ran a diagnostic first to make sure I wouldn't be classified as a gross polluter & found that it was within range. It's a beautiful thing when it all works out.

Matt

how did I get your 24 lb injectors? I do have the two spare 30s that I must have forgotten to give you though :)

BTW congrats on the pass, aparently the stroker had no effect on the smog, with the large injectors HCs should of been the trouble spot. NOx should of been low due to reduced cylinder temps due to extra fuel. So I think your rig must be running pretty good, are you still using the borla cat that came with the Stroker deal :)

I'm using the muffler now after tearing my flowmaster apart on the last JV trip, but I retained my just replaced cat. I couldn't see replacing all my 2 1/2" exhaust with the 2 1/4" borla stuff. I thought you told me that a set of 24#'s came with it? I know Larry said he started off with 24#'s & the motor ran too hot than switched to the 30#'s. I assumed you still had the 24#'s from the deal... He gave you everything else except his garage with the deal. Either way I'm glad I don't need them to make the state happy.

Matt

another trick for the strokers is to run a stock size tire on the dyno, especially for those of us who haven't corrected our speedo gears.

5.38s and 28" tires=less RPMs=less exhaust

SeanP said:
another trick for the strokers is to run a stock size tire on the dyno, especially for those of us who haven't corrected our speedo gears.

5.38s and 28" tires=less RPMs=less exhaust

wait, is that right?

Well, since I am already married, I don't think I can get another license. However, if we sanctify same sex marriages, then polygamy cannot be far behind.

And yes, I do talk to myself when the board is slow. The NOX answer seemed counterintuitive at first.

SeanP

Back