NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA's Technical Forums > OEM Tech Discussion
Register FAQ Users List Calendar Mark Forums Read
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Donate Bylaws Store Members Chat E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old March 2nd, 2012, 14:31
NAXJA Forum User

Question Code Question

What code, or codes would you expect to see on a 98 XJ, 5speed, 4.0 if the cat were plugged??
Old March 2nd, 2012, 16:18
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Code Question

Best for you to describe your symptoms and any codes you see, rather than to be "hypothetical"....
Old March 2nd, 2012, 17:33
NAXJA Forum User

Well, it's lacking power in the last week or so. Mostly around 1,600rpm. CEL just came on today.
I don't hear any hissing, but there is a bogging noise around the intake/airbox area when you try to accelerate under load @ about 1600 and higher. The converter is a little noisy (rattle). Changed the plugs/wires, and the plugs altough old, looked clean and dry. The motor runs great, burns no oil, and has 45-50lbs of oil pressure.
Ordered a tester today, and I should have it in the morning. I have no problem replacing the Cat, but I'll be laying in the snow covered driveway to do it, and at $175, I just want to make sure.
Old March 2nd, 2012, 19:39
NAXJA Forum User

P0420 is for "low efficiency catalyst" on your '98.
Old March 3rd, 2012, 04:02
NAXJA Forum User

Yup, gotta get those codes. They are absolutely the key to resolving this. Post the code or codes when you get them and go from there.
Old March 3rd, 2012, 06:05
NAXJA Forum User

And the code is........PO420.
Just as I thought. Thanks for the help guys.
Now, during a storm, I just have to change out the Cat and Muffler. AARRRGHhhh
Old March 3rd, 2012, 09:36
NAXJA Forum User

Changed both the cat and muffler, and it seems better. I only drove it a few miles but my acceleration seems to be back. Hard to tell with snowcovered roads. The old cat was JUNK. Looked ok on the outside, but the inside was pooched.
Old March 3rd, 2012, 10:23
NAXJA# 2091

You may still have a problem. A broken (rattle), pouched CAT is usually caused by the engine running too rich. IF you recently fixed a rich running problem, then you may be OK now, other wise if it is running rich it may cook and break the new CAT pretty quickly. I would get an volt meter and check the front O2 sensor readings while the engine is running.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthrea...+test&pag e=7
34 MPG , '85 2WD Cherokee Pioneer with custom installed, 64 hp, 2.2 L Nissan SD22 Diesel 5 spd Manual; & 4 Renix XJs, '87 Wagoneer 4.0, 4WD, 89-Cherokee, 4WD, '87 Cherokee 2WD, & '89 Cherokee Pioneer 2WD, all 4dr. #2091
Old March 4th, 2012, 05:29
NAXJA Forum User

To be honest, the cat has been doing the death rattle for almost a year, yeah I know sad... I don't think it's running rich. The old plugs looked like it may have been running lean if anything. I can check the upstream o2 sensor. I'm no stranger to multi-meters, and I'm not mechanicly challenged or anything. It's just that I'm more used to dual point distributors, 4 barrel carbs, and all that stuff....Hello, my name is hillcilmber and I am old..
Old March 4th, 2012, 09:15
NAXJA# 2091

Yep, some of us cut our first teeth on carbs, points, etc, LOL! My first intro to Electronic fuel injection was my 87 Renix Wagoneer when I bought it around 2006. It eventually replaced my 73 Ford LTD, 351 V-8 with a 2 barrel....which still only had 87,000 miles on it when I finally sold it in 2007-8?
34 MPG , '85 2WD Cherokee Pioneer with custom installed, 64 hp, 2.2 L Nissan SD22 Diesel 5 spd Manual; & 4 Renix XJs, '87 Wagoneer 4.0, 4WD, 89-Cherokee, 4WD, '87 Cherokee 2WD, & '89 Cherokee Pioneer 2WD, all 4dr. #2091