• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Exhaust Manifold mugshots (Is this a knock-off of a Banks Header?)

Summary

So for those who have purchased and have ran this manifold for a while, is this good improvement option or just a replacement header?

I saw they were on sale now for $119.

Re: Summary

OUG said:
So for those who have purchased and have ran this manifold for a while, is this good improvement option or just a replacement header?

As I said in my previous post, I noticed improved performance after the manifold replacement but this was probably due to cleaning the buildup in the intake manifold (it was a nasty mess in there). Also, Iv'e been monitoring my gas mileage and have seen no improvement. :( It typically is 14-16 mpg.

OUG said:

If you class the Banks as "just" a replacement header, then yes. It is well crafted with a tuned medium tube design. Definitely torquier feel due to the tri-y design. I don't care about mileage with the 42s and Mog diffs.

xtremexj94 said:
If you class the Banks as "just" a replacement header, then yes. It is well crafted with a tuned medium tube design. Definitely torquier feel due to the tri-y design. I don't care about mileage with the 42s and Mog diffs.
He is talking about the Banks wanna be's. They are defintely not as Good as Banks. I paid about 300 or 350 for mine. Those he is talking about are less then a 100 and a quarter. They aren't tuned and have smaller tubes. Like he said though good budget replacement.

The APN header is an EXACT knock-off of the Banks unit. If you pay attention to the comparison pics earlier in this thread you would see that. I work for an offroad products company and have seen several Banks headers but could never justify paying the price. I just stumbled across a post about the $119 one and ordered one up. It is a very well reproduced unit and have even considered bringing some in for re-sale. The only visual difference is the unpolished finish. Just so there is no doubt, I have been in the parts industry for 14 years and a lot of that has to do with performance parts so I can certainly tell the difference between good products and bad ones.

xtremexj94 said:
The APN header is an EXACT knock-off of the Banks unit. If you pay attention to the comparison pics earlier in this thread you would see that. I work for an offroad products company and have seen several Banks headers but could never justify paying the price. I just stumbled across a post about the $119 one and ordered one up. It is a very well reproduced unit and have even considered bringing some in for re-sale. The only visual difference is the unpolished finish. Just so there is no doubt, I have been in the parts industry for 14 years and a lot of that has to do with performance parts so I can certainly tell the difference between good products and bad ones.
DITTO X10 to the 1000 power!!

They are being sold by:
http://www.autopn.com/store/pc/view...idProduct=20009

Label on box is:
NAM
National Automotive Manufacturing, Inc.
Part No. 327211
New Exhaust Manifold
Replaces Hollander: 1533

Label under that is:
Graywerks
by atp
Made in China
Part No. 101112

Website is:
http://www.atp-inc.com/new/05-32.php#

On this website, part number is 101212 instead of part no 101112 on mine from Autopn. But the part number 101212 is the form number on instrution paper I received.

On website they have a good info .pdf on header:
http://www.atp-inc.com/new/ChallengeYMailer.pdf

xtremexj94 said:

You have my attention now. So can you quote me what the price for a 1990 4.0 XJ non HO would be ? ? ?

If you install this lookalike header and a 99+ intake, you will need to do a little clearancing on #6 on both intake and header.

Only problem I had was with #6 intake manifold casting and #6 exhaust tube interference... I clearanced for about 1/8"+ space between them with my die grinder for about 1/16"+ on bottom of intake and flattening exhaust tube about same using a 1 1/2" socket and hammer on exhaust tube in 3 places about 3/8" apart. You can see pics at: http://www.wiedenman.com/pub/intake/

Good luck!

Sorry if i am being redundant with my question, my 94 xj has a crack as all of them do...lol..My engine seems to get louder as the yrs pass away..lol

Would this be nice stock replacement ? Do you guys think its gonna last as long as the stocker did ? With the performance increase it provides does it provide a loss in fuel economy ? As far as installation how much do u really have to remove to remove and install it ? Whats the shipping cost ?

Thanks
and sorry for all the qs.
pete

jeepsrock said:
Would this be nice stock replacement ?

I think it's great and am completely satisfied so far.

Do you guys think its gonna last as long as the stocker did ?

My replacement is fine so far (~2000 miles) but I don't know how long the stockers last. Considering how common the cracks are, I'm guessing not very long.

With the performance increase it provides does it provide a loss in fuel economy ?

I'm was getting exactly the same milage (14-16mpg) for 2 tanks then it inexplicable went up (~15-17 mpg) but that might be within the measurement error.

As far as installation how much do u really have to remove to remove and install it ?

The replacement manifold actually came with reasonable (although very short) instructions. They were pretty much the same as the instructions in my Haynes manual. You have to remove the intake manifold. that probably requires removing the fule injection rail but it wasn't that bad. I replaced the injector o-rings at the same time and had to use a rubber mallet to nudge the injectors and rail back into place. Also, clean the black build-up out of the intake manifold while it's off. Get a Haynes or Chiltons manual.

Whats the shipping cost ?

my shipping (zip 22307) was $14

good luck!

blakelock,
If you didn't wipe the computer clean after install of new exhaust, it takes it a couple hundred miles to adjust. If you had wiped it, it would still take a couple hundred miles to adjust. I did get a mileage and power increase with mine, but I changed to a 99+ intake at same time too. I don't know which is biggest improvement.

Good Luck!

lloyd-
Thanks for the write up and pics, I'm doing the same swap on my 98 as soon as the header arrives and I clean up the intake. I'm glad you guys are impressed so far with the header's performance and quality- I'm looking forward to it, and I'll keep things posted. Is there anything anybody needs or wants pics of as I do this?

joshv98xj said:
lloyd-
Thanks for the write up and pics, I'm doing the same swap on my 98 as soon as the header arrives and I clean up the intake. I'm glad you guys are impressed so far with the header's performance and quality- I'm looking forward to it, and I'll keep things posted. Is there anything anybody needs or wants pics of as I do this?
I have installed mine along with a 99+ intake manifold and am very happy with the results. If you can afford to do the 99+ intake and lookalike exhaust at same time, do it! You can find info on it here: http://www.xjfanatic.com/msgbrd1/viewtopic.php?t=60

I'm in the process of doing a write-up of the install with links to other sources of info now.

Good Luck!

After taking out the stock manifold and attempting to weld up the cracks ( I could not weld the cracks between the tubes) I purchased this exhaust manifold several weeks ago for $139 shipped. As a proficient welder I have to say the welds and overal construction look pretty good.

The only problem I encounted was stated in earler posts: The manifold bolt next to #4 exhaust tube is impossible to get a torque wrench on. It appears the number 4 exhast tube should be slightly bent as this would provide the needed clearance to tighten the bolt with a torque wrench. I used a ratcheting wrench and did a best guess torque of hopefully aroung the 24 LBS range. The easiest method to tightening this bolt is to snake your arm between the manifold and the block starting at the empty area where the power steering pump resides. A bit awkward but doable.

The other pain-in-the-butt area was using the two bolts and nuts supplied in the kit for attaching the header to the down pipe. I suggest centering the bolts in the holes and welding them in place. This saves in smacking knuckles trying to tighten the fasteners.

I now have over 1000 miles to include a few hundre miles of desert wheeling in Death Valley and am quite pleased with the manifold and not having to hear exhaust leaks.

Total time for replacement was about 3 hours.

I wish I had done this sooner.

This manifold is definitely a good value.

Well since I have an exhaust leak and everyone seems to b satisfied with their purchase of this product I too shall purchase one. Thanks !:geek:

damn...i wants planning on replacing mine just yet.....looks like i might have too. Maybe this is extemely stupid but what exactly does a cracked manifold do to performance and mpg etc.???

JeepinWV said:
Am I seeing this right? or does that say 120$? Is this the same Manifold you guys are talking about in this link?

http://www.autopn.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idProduct=20009

96 Xj w/ 160k cracked manifold - go figure...

Looking at ordering this and have read that you guys who have purchased the product seem to like it. the link above is this the same thing you guys ordered?

Yup, thats the one. I also have no complaints at all. It was my first time doing anything major under the hood, so I spread it out over a few days.

Back