• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 XJ engine dies on certain occasions?

KALAIBOY

NAXJA Forum User
I looked through past threads and could not find this topic so here it goes. My 99 XJ sport automatic 4.0L (77000mi) on certain wierd occasions dies out soon after I start it. The wierd thing is, it only happened a few times in the past few months and only dies when I let go of the accelerator. The weather has been the same about 80 degrees and thers nothing else I could factor in as weather related. Ive had a few of my friends say its the fuel filter located i n the frame rail or vacuum hoses. Another thing I wanted to share is that all of the times it died I still drove it to my destination by depressing the gas pedal just enough to keep the idle up and using the brake and soon after going a few hundred feet the idle would be normal again. Any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

It sounds symptomatic of a partially blocked fuel filter. Unfortunately, the fuel filter is part of the fuel pump, which in turn is located inside the gas tank. That means to service it, you have to drop the tank.

Similar symptoms include the engine "stalling, stumbling" during quick tight turns when fuel level falls below 1/4 tank.

My '98 does the same thing you describe and I've got 94k on mine. I'm going to wait until the condition worstens, and just replace the whole fuel pump / filter assembly at that time.

Had the same problem.. The fuel with all the assembely ran $179. It would take the average wheeler with the right tools about 2-3 hrs. If you tske it to a shop no more 2 hrs. Average price for a shop should be 50 bucks an hour... Total cost $390 after it is done price less...Good Luck!

One dose of fuel system cleaner cleared up the "1/4 tank - tight turn" issue on my '99 a year ago. I'd put up with it for a few months because I thought it would take major surgery to fix it. I've never had the problem at start-up, so I can't comment on that.

I'd also check the IAC. Since your problem only happens at idle I would look at that. If it is stuck closed then that would explain why keeping the butterfly open withthe throttle keeps it running.

KALAIBOY said:
Hey how about that sea foam stuff? I heard it helps to clean foreign materials in the gas tank. Is this true or hype?

Not exactly. Think about it for a second - the only way to really clean anything out of the tank is to completely remove it; if you don't, whatever's in there is just going to get trapped in the fuel filter.

Sea Foam can be used in fuel to help clean out the fuel system - everything forward of the filter up to the injectors. It's also good to use on the throttle body and intake to decarbonise them, the valves, and the combustion chambers. I actually ran some (finally found it locally!) through my XJ a couple of nights ago, and there's a very noticeable difference. It's much quieter now, a lack of urge at low revs is gone, and fuel economy seems slightly improved. I'll run some again (minus the fuel treatment) in a few weeks before I change the spark plugs.

Back to the issue at hand: the IAC is the Idle Air Controller. Looks kind of like a spark plug sticking up out of the intake manifold with a couple of wires coming off of it. You can pull it and try *gently* cleaning it out with some penetrating oil and/or PB Blaster; be sure not to tweak the little plunger (you'll see what I mean when you get it out) inside of it while doing this. Hold it upright, squirt some in until it stops seeping down, let it sit upright for a couple of minutes to work in, then turn it upside-down until the cleaner stops running out. Repeat until the cleaner coming out is the same colour as when it went in.

I believe on '99s the fuel filter is in the tank integral with the pump and must be replaced as a unit; only the '96-down XJs had the canister-type filter attached to the frame rail.

Check and clean the IAC first - it's an easy enough job. After cleaning it give it a few dozen miles to work out any loose crud that may not have come out with the cleaning and see if things improve.

Last edited:
Could be the TPS sensor too. I just did one the other day on a 98 5.2ltr ZJ. It acted the exact same way. Don't forget to disconect the battery to reset the computer after you done, or it still won't idle. Also if you've never had the battery disconnected long enough to reset the computer. When you first start it you have to hold down the gas just a bit 'till it learns what RPM to idle at again.

Hey CASM your a diagnostic genius! I took out the IAC and cleaned it, and also cleaned the battery terminals and the XJ died on the first turn but started right up on the next. However does the IAC need some type of teflon tape or something? I saw some build up on the upper part of the threading. Oh and there was some condensation on that blue sensor thing, is that normal?Thanks for your help!

KALAIBOY said:
Hey CASM your a diagnostic genius! I took out the IAC and cleaned it, and also cleaned the battery terminals and the XJ died on the first turn but started right up on the next.

Cool, glad it worked. The trick'll be to see if it gradually clears up and stops doing it once all the grime works its way out. Idle should be smooth as well.

However does the IAC need some type of teflon tape or something?

AFAIK, it shouldn't. I believe it actually grounds out to the manifold, but may be wrong about this; certainly I've never seen one with any tape on it, nor heard of it being recommended for it. Just don't overtighten it - every one I've dealt with has had a soft brass body that loves to round itself if you overdo things.

I saw some build up on the upper part of the threading.

Probably just dirt/grime if it was above the manifold. Might want to check if you've got some blowby if it looks like old oil and dirt buildup on the part that would be in the manifold, though.

Oh and there was some condensation on that blue sensor thing, is that normal?Thanks for your help!

Assuming we're talking about the plunger housing (I've only ever seen them with a white/beige one, but I guess there could've been some that were blue), it could be normal depending on climate, engine temperature when you pulled it, etc. If you mean a few small drops that's nothing to sweat about. Anyway, glad it helped; hopefully it's cured your problem.

casm said:
Not exactly. Think about it for a second - the only way to really clean anything out of the tank is to completely remove it; if you don't, whatever's in there is just going to get trapped in the fuel filter.

Sea Foam can be used in fuel to help clean out the fuel system - everything forward of the filter up to the injectors. It's also good to use on the throttle body and intake to decarbonise them, the valves, and the combustion chambers. I actually ran some (finally found it locally!) through my XJ a couple of nights ago, and there's a very noticeable difference. It's much quieter now, a lack of urge at low revs is gone, and fuel economy seems slightly improved. I'll run some again (minus the fuel treatment) in a few weeks before I change the spark plugs.

Back to the issue at hand: the IAC is the Idle Air Controller. Looks kind of like a spark plug sticking up out of the intake manifold with a couple of wires coming off of it. You can pull it and try *gently* cleaning it out with some penetrating oil and/or PB Blaster; be sure not to tweak the little plunger (you'll see what I mean when you get it out) inside of it while doing this. Hold it upright, squirt some in until it stops seeping down, let it sit upright for a couple of minutes to work in, then turn it upside-down until the cleaner stops running out. Repeat until the cleaner coming out is the same colour as when it went in.

I believe on '99s the fuel filter is in the tank integral with the pump and must be replaced as a unit; only the '96-down XJs had the canister-type filter attached to the frame rail.

Check and clean the IAC first - it's an easy enough job. After cleaning it give it a few dozen miles to work out any loose crud that may not have come out with the cleaning and see if things improve.

Where did you find the Seafoam? I want to give it a try, but all the auto stores around here don't seem to have it. TIA.

99XJSPORT06 said:
Where did you find the Seafoam? I want to give it a try, but all the auto stores around here don't seem to have it. TIA.

I found it at the Autozone store here. Might be a bit of a drive for you, though ;)

Seriously, though, I'd never seen it in an automotive store before either, and that includes other Autozone branches. I've heard that marine supply shops can be good hunting grounds for it, but never wanted to make the 20+ mile trek to the water to find out. Hope this helps...

hmmm yeah, bit of a drive...lol.

Thanks though, i'll give autozone a closer look next time i'm in there....perhaps i might have overlooked it.

99XJSPORT06 said:
Thanks though, i'll give autozone a closer look next time i'm in there....perhaps i might have overlooked it.

No problem. BTW, I should probably mention that what they had wasn't the regular liquid Sea Foam Motor Treatement, but rather the Deep Creep. There's no real difference between the two - the Deep Creep's just an aerosol version of the Motor Treatment. The same rules apply for its use as for the liquid stuff, but a Pyrex (or, at least, glass not plastic) measuring cup may come in handy if you're trying to be ultra-accurate in your measurements.

Back