• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

xj dana 44 shafts.

ipkyss

NAXJA Forum User
I just picked up a xj 44 rear housing. I am going to run a spool and 4.56 gears( becuase the front already has 4.56 gears) I am trying to find someone that makes alloy or upgraded shafts. I am having trouble finding anyone. I know i can go to moser, ect. But custum shafts are not cheap. If anything, somewhere i can get stock replacements cheap.

Superior and CTM make some good shafts. Cant speak from experience on those though. While your at it, get the Super 44 kit and you will get a Detroit as well.

ipkyss said:
I just picked up a xj 44 rear housing. I am going to run a spool and 4.56 gears( becuase the front already has 4.56 gears) I am trying to find someone that makes alloy or upgraded shafts. I am having trouble finding anyone. I know i can go to moser, ect. But custum shafts are not cheap. If anything, somewhere i can get stock replacements cheap.

Your post confuses me.

You want alloy shafts that are not custom? All alloy shafts, are by definition, custom.

I have had very good experience with Dutchman and Superior. I have a hard time recommending Moser because of their very poor customer service.

Superior 1541 shafts will run you $275 or so for the pair.

CRASH

ipkyss said:
But custum shafts are not cheap. If anything, somewhere i can get stock replacements cheap.

i think & am almost positive that TJ d44 shafts will work.

and for that matter maybe even some of the CJ/Scout d44 shafts so long as the spline counts are the same and the lengths are close..

a cheap source for those would likely be a local junk yard,, if you could get lucky enough to find em..
or try checking with the Service Dept manager @ your local Jeep dealership,
sometimes when a differential part goes out in vehicles that are covered by warranty the whole axle housing is swapped out for a new one and the old but yet useable parts are cast aside for scrap...

JLane99XJ said:
i think & am almost positive that TJ d44 shafts will work.

and for that matter maybe even some of the CJ/Scout d44 shafts so long as the spline counts are the same and the lengths are close..

a cheap source for those would likely be a local junk yard,, if you could get lucky enough to find em..
or try checking with the Service Dept manager @ your local Jeep dealership,
sometimes when a differential part goes out in vehicles that are covered by warranty the whole axle housing is swapped out for a new one and the old but yet useable parts are cast aside for scrap...

TJ shafts will work although they will be shorter by half or a quarter of an inch (or something like that). They do need different retainer plates though as the bolt pattern on them little suckers doesn't match the one on the XJ axle (don't ask how I found that out).

TJ 44 shafts work, are a hair shorter, and use different retainer plates. Superior, Moser, Alloy USA, blah blah blah... They all have them.

Either get the parts and get them pressed yourself, or inquire about XJ D44 plates with the maker/reseller.

XJack said:
Either get the parts and get them pressed yourself, or inquire about XJ D44 plates with the maker/reseller.
I believe Drive Train Direct sells retainer plates that are open on one end (in essence U shaped) so that you can put them on without having to remove the bearing.

I have a pair of D44 stock shafts with new bearings fffor sale $150 for the pair plus shipping from RI 02824.
I replaced mine with Moser axles ($305 + $55 for bearings + $30 for shipping) so you can buy New alloy, new standard, or used - your choice. [email protected]

Kejtar said:
I believe Drive Train Direct sells retainer plates that are open on one end (in essence U shaped) so that you can put them on without having to remove the bearing.

Do you have a part# for those?
I just got another set of Superiors from them for trail spares and the retards put TJ retainers on the axles. :rolleyes:

Jes said:
Do you have a part# for those?
I just got another set of Superiors from them for trail spares and the retards put TJ retainers on the axles. :rolleyes:
Don't have it,. but I think if you call them and tell them what you need they can look it up. Also Ryan (Rawbrown) might have the number.

I've got a set of Dutchman alloys that are 5x5.5" if anyone's interested. :D

But yeah, you can get alloys with the stock bolt pattern from Superior/DriveTrainDirect, AlloyUSA, etc. Good luck finding any in stock right now though, last I checked with our suppliers, D44 shafts were scarce. I've about decided to just order a couple of fully setup sets to keep in stock ourselves because of all the supply issues the past few months.

Chris S said:
hmm. There's a 50/50 chance mine are in backwards

The long side(passenger) won't fit in the short side but the short side will fit in the long side.
I usually carry a short side as a spare because it will get you home even if you break the long side.

considering the shaft lengths are so close, any have any idea why they wouldn't/didn't just split the difference and make both sides 29.5"? Seems to me like that would have greatly simplified things (ie: mfg and supply) having identical left/right sides.

Actually some do. A guy in the club bout a set of alloyusa shafts last month and got excatly that. 2 shafts 29 1/2 long.

I have a set of stock D44 shafts (5x4.5) for sale, 150.00 +shipping from MD.

Mikes Parts is also a good source for the retaining plates.

Jes said:
The long side(passenger) won't fit in the short side but the short side will fit in the long side.
I usually carry a short side as a spare because it will get you home even if you break the long side.

Good, I must have gotten it right then.

Is it just me or does $150 sound like a lot for stock shafts? I only paid $250 for the entire axle. Maybe I just got lucky.

Back