• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CB antenna mount

casm said:
Another good place (on post-'97s, anyway) for the transmitter box that that radio uses is inside the centre console. It screws in without any trouble between the storage bin and the front face (sloped part) of the console; the handset connector just pokes out of the front of the face. Using a 90-degree adapter on the antenna connector may be a good idea, though.
This sounds like a pretty good idea... got any photos?

I like it, I like it. I should post a picture of my mag. base bungeed to the roof rack just for laughs. It looks like the first 25 might be sold out. If not I’ll take one, if so, I’ll wait for the next batch.

Congratulations, you just became an entrepreneur!

IdeaMan said:
This sounds like a pretty good idea... got any photos?

Sure, right here :) These were taken in my previous XJ, a 2001 Sport. YMMV if yours is a different year.

One thing you can't see in this is how I handled the antenna. Basically, I used a Rat Shack magmount that was permanently-connected to the antenna connector on the transmitter. The magmount base and cable were kept under the driver's seat when not in use, with the antenna removed and stashed under the back seat. Since I was going for no obvious indicators to a potential thief of the CB being in there, this worked out really well as for all intents and purposes there were no obvious visual indicators.

The only things I'm planning on doing differently this time around are the placement of the handset bracket - it should move up onto the panel surrounding the instrument panel, not down on the driver's kick panel since the viewing angle there doesn't allow you to read the display. I'm also looking into mounting the transmitter to the storage bin rather than the console face itself - this is just to eliminate the extra screw heads visible south of the handset connector.

BTW, you might want to get ahold of part #278-199 at your local Radio Shack if you decide to do this. It makes it a lot easier to route the antenna cable so as not to allow it to interfere with handbrake operation. Also, if you have the roof console you definitely do NOT want to use a magmount - it'll royally screw with the compass.

Last edited:
I should have some next week if all goes well. The mount will probably be around $20 plus shipping, the price depends on how much finish work I have to do after they are laser cut.
Later AJ

Just curious... Any news on these yet? :wave:

Hi. The first batch of antenna mounts haven't been cut yet . There was some confusion with the pattern sizing of the sample that I sent them. Sorry for the delay.
When I finish the mounts I'll post to the thread with the information. What is the accepted method for selling these on the forum? First come first served????, first to post in the original post??? Suggestions here would be a great Help.

Later AJ

akrazgpr said:
Hi. The first batch of antenna mounts haven't been cut yet . There was some confusion with the pattern sizing of the sample that I sent them. Sorry for the delay.
When I finish the mounts I'll post to the thread with the information. What is the accepted method for selling these on the forum? First come first served????, first to post in the original post??? Suggestions here would be a great Help.

Later AJ
For your own sanity - first with cash...

r@m

akrazgpr said:

No worries. Just glad to hear it's still a go, particularly since I reinstalled my CB yesterday but haven't got an antenna for it yet :D

I'd vote for making them available to people in the order that they were requested in the thread, but then I'm biased towards that method since I'm near the head of the queue :) Incidentally, my request is solid... I *will* take one, no backing down on it.

Are you planning on more than one production run? If so, this method could work out fairly well since they could be done in batches.

I think that they should be available to people in the order that they PM'd you and posted to your thread. They/we have been waiting the longest. Thankx

Hope you do it in the order was requested, but however you do it i still want one.

Back