• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Team NAXJA/Petty Cash Racing stock class KOH XJ build

Not much energy to write, but James and I tore back into the car today. Starting to clean up a lot of the OEM wiring we left in place racing to the starting line last year. Today we deleted anything that goes through the OEM steering column so we can replace it with a race column.. a little slow doing wiring while James has a broken hand, so we're picking it up again the week after next with intent to delete the factory fuse block completely.

Next week I'll be tearing into the back half of the car to install a rear antirock Chris Amrein set us up with uber cheap. (thanks Chris!) Hoping to cut down on some of the low speed body roll, making a tight turn is like stepping onto the side of a little aluminium boat. ;)

I'd like to see how that anti-rock goes in. anxiously awaiting pichurs!

Are you planning on using the factory steering shaft (column to box)?

I haven't done much research but would like to ditch the factory column for a universal one and a quick-release wheel.

Next week I'll be tearing into the back half of the car to install a rear antirock Chris Amrein set us up with uber cheap. (thanks Chris!) Hoping to cut down on some of the low speed body roll, making a tight turn is like stepping onto the side of a little aluminium boat. ;)

Keep us posted. A rear bar has been on my radar for a long time.
Didn't really mind the stock bar but it broke it a long time ago, it couldn't handle the longer suspension travel with such short side arms.
Any idea on the bar dimensions and side arm length?

Good to meet you guys. The car looks really good! Let me know if I can help in any way when you mount the sway bar or re-do the steering column.

Are you planning on using the factory steering shaft (column to box)?

I haven't done much research but would like to ditch the factory column for a universal one and a quick-release wheel.

That is the plan, ditching the factory for a universal kit and quick release wheel.

How many rigs are racing team NAXJA?

I missed this question before.

There have been three Team Naxja rigs.

The original 52, Goatmans unlimited class buggy.

KOH 2008, 7th place
KOH 2009, 31st if i recall correctly
KOH 2010, pre-run rig with Team Genrite

483451195_YfCEf-L.jpg

David Taylor ran 51 as an unlimited car in 2009's LCQ event with Gary Hall, but a gravity spike took them out.

3316507037_d3b144c93d.jpg

And of course 2012 EMC with car 4643, which requires no introduction in this thread. We hope to have this car in dozens of races to come.. just you know, as it turns out racing is more expensive than I am paid, so its taken a while to recover from the original build. ;) We'll be back at KOH 2013, and hopefully a slew of events following that up.

my contribution. some custom made anodized hipster jeep parts. shift knobs for the atlas.

8057915398_294680e8cd_b.jpg

Those are some pretty good shifter knobs there. Nice to see others stepping up to support 4643.

David Bricker / SYR

What an awesome weekend of wrenching.

There seems to be a lot of questions about fitting the 'big' Griffon radiator. I'm skipping right into the meat of this.

The radiator has a studs that screw into the stop to mount the factory mount pads. There are two locations to mount it in, one fits the XJ, I'm assuming the other is for another vehicle.

2012-10-06_11-57-18_171.jpg

2012-10-06_11-57-55_410.jpg

From the factory mount hole on the crossmember, we moved the top of the radiator forward just about 1" - to the very edge of the lip.

2012-10-06_11-58-26_142.jpg

Then cut the mounting pads to fit the notch in the core support.

2012-10-06_11-58-31_77.jpg

2012-10-06_11-58-38_831.jpg

2012-10-06_11-59-06_928.jpg

2012-10-06_11-59-53_205.jpg

2012-10-06_12-09-41_910.jpg

Last edited:
2012-10-06_12-09-48_166.jpg

We had fears that our fan clutch was bad, so I bought a new one. The new one turned out to be a lot thicker than the one we had and didnt fit with our mounting..

Not my photo, but this shows the difference:

FanClutch.jpg

A little research and LungHD's site showed me his Fan Clutch Eliminator kit...

2012-10-06_15-50-18_702.jpg

Test fit the core support:

2012-10-06_17-34-10_519.jpg

The radiator is thicker, so I had to notch the electric fan a little to make it fit right, but I am pleased with the results.

2012-10-06_18-00-32_293.jpg

2012-10-06_18-00-37_273.jpg

2012-10-06_18-00-41_946.jpg

At this point my phone died, so no pictures from here on out.

Pull it all back apart. MOUNT YOUR COOLERS NOW IF YOU HAVE THEM. I didn't and had to remove it all to mount the power steering cooler.

Re-assembled the system. Install new BRX silicon radiator hoses wrapped in silicon tape.

2012-10-07_09-41-31_138.jpg

Filled with distilled water and a bottle of water wetter (we aren't allowed antifreeze in the race).

I'll get post install photos later. You wouldnt know the install is not factory. it was time consuming - a little more than a day (mostly because of the fan clutch), but it WAS NOT DIFFICULT - just a lot of attention to detail.

Last edited:
Back