• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BG44K

jeepintexas

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone have any experience with BG44K? I put in an 11oz. can earlier then I put 10 gallons of non-ethanol gasoline. The Jeep seems to be running a little better. My problem is that the Jeep has a much higher idle now. A normal idle on my vehicle is roughly around 700 rpm, when i'm in gear its holding at about 1200. When I shift into N from a gear it takes a good second for it to sit back down at 700. The Jeep wasnt doing this prior to the BG44K.

91 XJ
AX5

I'd disco power and let the computer relearn with the newer parameters: injectors that are spraying more fuel/spraying a better pattern now that they are clean, compression a tad lower now that carbon build-up has been reduced, knock sensor not reducing timing due to better burn and carbon buildup not causing pre-ignition, etc. Now that things are running cleaner/more efficient, they might not need the same amount of fuel at idle and so previous levels might cause the increase in revs? I'd still yank the tb off the manifold and remove sensors, clean tb w/ sensor safe cleaner, Q-tips, clean IAT port, clean IAT sensor, blow out map tube w/ cleaner and compressed air, use q-tips to clean manifold ports and map sensor inlet. I could see where BG44K might do too good a job cleaning the gas tank that it breaks up sediment that will clog up filters. Spend $10 and get a new fuel filter and see if that helps.

Last edited:
I hear good things about BG44k although I've never personally used it.

Don't get tunnel vision here though. The high idle you're seeing may be coincidental and not be related to your use of that product. That is my gut feeling here. Your description of the idle not coming down quickly when shifting from park into another gear is a "classic" symptom of a faulty IAC.

The two top causes of high idle include vacuum leaks and a faulty idle air control valve. If it were mine, I'd start by cleaning the throttle body and IAC. Here's more on it. Hope this helps.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

The Idle Air Control (IAC) is mounted on the back of the throttle body. The valve controls the idle speed of the engine by controlling the amount of air flowing through the air control passage. It consists of a stepper motor that moves a pintle shaped plunger in and out of the air control passage. When the valve plunger is moved in, the air control passage flows more air which raises the idle speed. When the valve plunger is moved out, the air control passage flows less air which lowers the idle speed. Over time and miles, the IAC can get carboned up which can have an adverse affect on idle quality. Cleaning the IAC may restore proper function and is an easy procedure to perform and good preventive maintenance so it is never a bad idea.

CLEANING THE JEEP 4.0 IDLE AIR CONTROL

Remove the air filter cover, associated hoses and the rubber boot that goes from the air filter cover to the throttle body. Remove the IAC with a torx driver (2 bolts; one can be kind of hard to get to)

"Gently" wiggle out the IAC from the throttle body. Gasket on the IAC can be re-used if it is not damaged

Clean the IAC with a spray can of throttle body cleaner; inexpensive and available at any place that sells auto parts. Throttle body cleaner is recommended rather than carburetor cleaner as it is less harsh, safe for throttle body coatings and is best for this task. Use cleaner, a rag and a toothbrush and or Q-Tips. Be gentle; don’t twist or pull on the pintle that protrudes from the IAC as it is fragile and you could damage it.

Thoroughly spray clean and flush where the IAC seats in the throttle body with the same spray cleaner

It is also a good idea to clean the entire throttle body itself, the butterfly valve inside of the throttle body and all associated linkage as long as you have things disassembled

Reinstall IAC and check idle quality

thanks guys. all of yall gave me good ideas. ill replace the fuel filter, then clean the parts related to the fuel system. this is the first time using bg44k. i always recall old man saying it was good stuff, but i could never see myself spending 30 or so bucks on a fuel additive. my bro bought it for me thats why im using it.

I'd disco power

url

Now what?

The stuff is great and I have been running it for probably 30+ years. Give it some time to do its work.

The stuff is great and I have been running it for probably 30+ years. Give it some time to do its work.

X2, BG44K is good sh!t, I have also been running it in my XJ for about 2 years. I love it keeps the fuel system clean.

I meant IAC instead of IAT previously. I get to see the disco ball all the time at my job(mixing audio for bands side stage)--last week a group brought in a 4' one.

Well i might see if i can find a local shop that has it. Might only be 18.00 but they want 12.50 to ship it! Thanks though!

Thanks for the help guys.
I disconnected my battery, and when I reconnected it all returned to normal. That BG44K works like magic. I can definately tell the difference, the jeep runs smoother and it seems to have regained some power that it has lost over the last 19 or so years. I definately recommend it to all of you. I'll be buying a can of this for my 87', as soon as I find it locally.

Many of the Toyota dealers in PA carry BG. $19.25 a can for 44K. Guess that's an okay price.
Has any one here used MOA? It's BG's Motor Oil Additive. I have heard good things about it. 'Yota dealer had that for about $8 a can.

Back