• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another Tire pressure thread

twistedlizard720

NAXJA Forum User
I have been searching for tire pressure info for a few weeks and haven't come up with anything that matches my concern. I am running 31x10.50's and have been experimenting with tire pressure. For a while I was running 35psi. When I rotated my tires the centers were a bit worn on the rears, but the fronts seemed to be wearing evenly. I aired down to 30psi (what was recommended on many threads) and the rears seem to sit okay, but the fronts look too low. I will make an educated guess that this situation is due to the weight distribution and its tail light.

My question, Does anyone run a few more psi up front than in the rear to keep your tire wear balanced?

Get some chalk.

Scrub a broad line across the tread of each tire.

Drive a short distance and look at the chalk line on each tire.

Increase/decrease the inflation of each tire until you can get even scrubbing of the chalk all across the face of the tread.

You now have the correct pressure in your tires.

You should do this with the vehicle in its "normal" state, i.e., loaded and fueled as it is normally driven.

Definately consider running different pressures front to back(depends on your rig set-up).Also remember the fronts rolls thru castor/camber that the rears dont see.Thats why is so important to rotate your tires ALOT!

I'm running BFG 31 10.50's and at maximum load you are "suppose" to run those at 50 psi...I just run it at 50 anyway for the gas mileage and have zero tire wear issue's...have about 15k on the tires and all 4 are wearing dead even. I can still get 20mpg as well. I don't know if the throttle body spacer and the ignition coil help but...

I'm running BFG 31 10.50's and at maximum load you are "suppose" to run those at 50 psi...I just run it at 50 anyway for the gas mileage and have zero tire wear issue's...have about 15k on the tires and all 4 are wearing dead even. I can still get 20mpg as well. I don't know if the throttle body spacer and the ignition coil help but...

Thats because your probably running either "D's" or "E's" and it wouldnt make much difference if they were flat.Your XJ isnt even coming close to the Max rating of the tires!

Last edited:
Back