• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gauging Interest: U-joint retention caps

You want me to post this in the SEC forum and see if there's interest there as well?

Actually not yet. Since I'll be doing all the work shipping, I'm trying to keep things local in case there is a problem, it would be easy to handle. Let me see how things go.

Thanks,
Mike

First off, Mark is a very stand up guy and one of the few shops I trust having work done at. I had no doubt to question him BUT to statisfy the question, I took the cap off this morning. It is lighter then the two cap screws by about half. It is not magnetic and feels like Titanium. I make that claim base on the fact my wife and I have Titanium wedding rings and the caps feel like our rings.

Cool - could just be the color of the pic is a bit off. It just looked like it could be A-series tool steel or Stellite from the pics - but both are significantly heavier than the screws would be.

Yeah, titanium rings are cool. My wife got me one for my "five-year" ring. Gotta come up with something for her for a "ten-year" ring - I'm hoping I'll get tungsten this go-round (she's flashy. I like industrial metals...)

Make them out of Tungsten and I will take a set.. The alum ones I ran years ago made by Moroso were ok till they stretched out and spit the u-joint.. I personally run the U-bolt style yokes with forged u-bolts.. No issues yet..

these are big in the drag race world...

I'll take my u-bolt yoke straps though - cheaper, and don't interfere with angularity of the joint - which is critical on my front DS...

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MOR-85860&N=700+115&autoview=sku

http://store.summitracing.com/egnse...sults=false&Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&N=700+115

commonly referred to as U-Joint Girdles

30 - Front
44 - Front
35 - Rear
44 - Rear
8.25 - Rear
8.8 - Rear
9" - Rear

the d30 and d44 use the same pinion yoke - regardless of front and rear... so... there are 3 of them...

Make them out of Tungsten and I will take a set.. The alum ones I ran years ago made by Moroso were ok till they stretched out and spit the u-joint.. I personally run the U-bolt style yokes with forged u-bolts.. No issues yet..

That's because they were aluminum. OK for racing, but with the torque loads we often put on things, you may as well use bubblegum.

Actually not yet. Since I'll be doing all the work shipping, I'm trying to keep things local in case there is a problem, it would be easy to handle. Let me see how things go.

Thanks,
Mike

Sounds good, if you want some more interest, just let me know.

Okay, here is the all the info I got today.

To address the issue of aluminum caps, this is exactly why Mark had caps made from Titanium. A number of his customers completely destroyed the Moroso one. Mark then experimented with a stronger aluminum and still had failure in destruction testing. He went to Titanium and he was unable to get the caps to fail.

As for application, this fits Jeep D30, D35, D44 and 8.25 (and some Corvette D44). To install them, remove old straps, make sure you don't have a bunch of rust on the u-joint cap (these are a snug fit), place a drop of Locktite in the screws and tighten until firmly snug (not FT! maybe 10 ft lbs. max).

Price, One pair shipped, $50 each, if ordering two or more pairs, $45 each. Walk in price $45. They actually can do the shipping and will handle that, most likely go USPS.

Ordering, you will be ordering directly from Mark at Pro Gear in San Diego. The can do credit card over the phone. Since they are a typical walk in type shop, they are not set up for PayPal/Internet ordering. You can also mail them a money order or check to the below listed address. If you only have PayPal, contact me via PM and we can work something out.

Contact info, Call Mark at 858-571-1158. Tell him you are ordering the Titanium U-joint Retention Device and are from NAXJA. This will get you the special deal. For mail or walk in purchases, 7948 Ronson Road, San Diego, CA 92111. Their store hours (calls or walk in) are Mon-Fri 9-5 pacific time.

At this point he has 25-30 pairs ready to go and unless there becomes a waiting list, he may not have these made again. If enough interest is there after selling what he has, he may look at doing another batch. This could be a one time chance, so if you want them, get them ordered up!

I hope you guys make me proud as I really hyped up NAXJA to get this deal going.

Okay, here is the all the info I got today.

To address the issue of aluminum caps, this is exactly why Mark had caps made from Titanium. A number of his customers completely destroyed the Moroso one. Mark then experimented with a stronger aluminum and still had failure in destruction testing. He went to Titanium and he was unable to get the caps to fail.

As for application, this fits Jeep D30, D35, D44 and 8.25 (and some Corvette D44). To install them, remove old straps, make sure you don't have a bunch of rust on the u-joint cap (these are a snug fit), place a drop of Locktite in the screws and tighten until firmly snug (not FT! maybe 10 ft lbs. max).

Price, One pair shipped, $50 each, if ordering two or more pairs, $45 each. Walk in price $45. They actually can do the shipping and will handle that, most likely go USPS.

Ordering, you will be ordering directly from Mark at Pro Gear in San Diego. The can do credit card over the phone. Since they are a typical walk in type shop, they are not set up for PayPal/Internet ordering. You can also mail them a money order or check to the below listed address. If you only have PayPal, contact me via PM and we can work something out.

Contact info, Call Mark at 858-571-1158. Tell him you are ordering the Titanium U-joint Retention Device and are from NAXJA. This will get you the special deal. For mail or walk in purchases, 7948 Ronson Road, San Diego, CA 92111. Their store hours (calls or walk in) are Mon-Fri 9-5 pacific time.

At this point he has 25-30 pairs ready to go and unless there becomes a waiting list, he may not have these made again. If enough interest is there after selling what he has, he may look at doing another batch. This could be a one time chance, so if you want them, get them ordered up!

I hope you guys make me proud as I really hyped up NAXJA to get this deal going.

Just out of curiousity, what alloys did he try for aluminum? I'm almost willing to bet that the Moroso caps are 6061-T4/5/6, and there's not much "up" left there (7075-T4 or better, and that's still not going to be strong enough for us. 7075-T6 is roughly equivalent to a 12xx-series "mild" steel, in terms of absolute strength.)

Titanium is actually a good choice for this - no corrosion, no need for plating, and stronger than steel anyhow. Failure modes are rather more, er, "dramatic" with Ti, but you shouldn't run into one anyhow. Any idea what Ti alloy he's using, or is he going for "commercially pure" titanium?

I do believe he said 7075 aluminum. I don't know what Ti he used (didn't ask) but many years back he was a aerospace machinist so I am sure he used high quality stuff. In talking to him, he really knows his stuff. He was telling me about the very small radius where the machined area for the cap screw head meet the raise area. This was done so there would not be a place it to start a crack, which can happen at a 90* type corner. Also, all the edges have a small radius so there are no sharp edges anywhere.

These things are like like pieces of artwork, seriously. I just want to hang them up all over the house, just to show people. :D I would make drawer pulls or mounts or whatever else, just to show these off. Too bad most bystanders will never see them on the Jeep.

Yep - exactly correct about the stress risers from sharp changes in section. That's why all high-endurance parts have radiused cuts and edges, smooth transitions, and the like.

Pretty much all titanium is "good stuff" when compared to steels, it's more a matter of "how much better?" But, they damn sure are purtyful.

Makes me want to build a nice Apothecary's Cabinet, and order a few sets just to use for drawer pulls...

Last time I was at Pro Gear I was picking up a take-out locker from Mark for a Dana 35 circa 2002. A friend tipped me off to it since he knew I was looking for a locker. Got it cheap since it was used. Mark said the previous owner of it had it in for like a week and didn't like the noise of it. I'm like 15 miles north of there.

I'd go pick some up, but I work Mon-Fri 9-5. Might just have to get em shipped. They're website says 8am though.

These would have helped me on my last trip to Azusa.... would have helped Andy up at cleghorn too, dammit!

I might be 8am. I was just trying to remember what I saw on the door but I suffer from CRS.

tcm glx- sounds like you should get them while you can. :D

I hoping to install mine tomorrow. Mark is such a cool guy, he hooked me up because of how hardcore I was hyping the guys on NAXJA and that you guys would love these. I'll post up some pics after I get them installed.

Back