• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 Axle Seal

joshv98xj

NAXJA Forum User
I think I might have a problem with the Dana 44 I'm building up. I just dropped the shafts off at the machine shop today to have the bearings pressed on. The seals that I had ordered the guy at the shop said that they go on after the bearings have been pressed on, but I was just reviewing some of the writups and I think I f'd up. I think I got the wrong seals, cause I think they're supposed to go on between the bearing retainer plate and the bearings. Can somebody confirm that? I think I just threw $100 out the window....:doh:

Last edited:
Early D44's used an inner seal also, and you needed to pack the bearing with grease. Later models don't use the inner seal, and let the gear lube lubricate the bearing.

Mine is out of an 87 XJ. Is there a difference in the axle shafts and housing used, or just a switch in the seals used? I mean, can the seals be used interchangeably, or do I need to know what specific axle I have?

Either way, I don't think there is any way around me having to destroy my new bearings and buy new ones.

you need timken part# 9912s which auto zone lists at the outer seal i know i just when through this about a month ago they list the inner seal for a cherokee dana 44 even though its not used

Edit: just check the new seals when you get them they should be roughly the same outer diameter as the bearings are

Real simple,Set#10!!End of story!

Well, the good news is that apparently I found a good machine shop. The guy said that because I hadn't driven on the new bearings yet, they weren't totally seized into place, so they were able to just pop them off, slide the seals on, and press the bearings back on. And he cut 1/3 off his shop rate because I'm an idiot. I guess it wasn't the end of the world like I thought it was going to be.....

If you plan on doing this often, say once a year or so,:
20 ton press from Northern Tool: 120.00
9 inch bear splitter 90.00
Fabricated hangers 20.00

Pressing your own bearings on and off: PRICELESS

Sorry, kind of old thread but I just ran into this while rebuilding my D44 and thought I could provide a good future reference for someone else. Just for clarification when buying parts for your '87 XJ Dana 44...

Regarding Timken bearings and seals at AutoZone:

#693184 - Set 10 - This is referred to by their system as the "inner bearing" and includes the complete bearing assembly w/ retainer ring. Kind of confusing as this bearing is called inner despite the fact that it sits at the outer end of the axle shaft. If you ask for an "outer bearing" they will tell you that they don't stock that part.

#012144 - Outer Seal #9912S - This is referred to by their system as the "outer seal" and sits between the bearing assembly and the retainer plate.

#012063 - Inner Seal #481837 - This is referred to by their system as the "inner seal" and as mentioned earlier in the thread is not necessary for this axle.

I wasn't sure what exactly I needed when I was ordering my parts so I got both the "inner" and "outer" seals. I will be returning the inner seals tomorrow.

Also, if you've never done axle bearings before, don't be alarmed like I was that the new bearings don't appear the same as the old ones that are pressed onto your shafts. The new ones have both the bearing and the race assembled together making it look like a cartridge bearing. This is actually the same bearing you just pulled out only the race remains pressed into the end of the axle tube when you pull the shaft out. Yeah, I'm a newb. Just thought I'd pass this on as I was about to return my new bearings before finally deciding to at least compare them to my old ones first.

Hope this saves someone some frustration somewhere down the road... :wierd:

Back