• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

grinding rear

Ecomike said:
YIKES!!!!

I can slide my transmission from side to side! I was retesting my U-Joints on the rear drive shaft and noticed some play in the trany mount I thought, so I got aggressive and suddenly found my tranny sliding easily from side to side.

I need a closer look, need to clean it up degrease it some first, might need a new tranny mount, but for sure it is missing the bolts that bolt the tranny to the tranny mount!

Anyone know, or a have a source to look up that bolt size & spec???????????

:helpme::helpme::helpme::helpme::helpme::helpme::helpme::helpme::helpme::helpme::helpme::helpme::helpme::helpme::helpme:pLEASE!
I need the length, size and thread count to buy.

:scared: Call your local Jeep dealer! Get a service manual!

ColoradoRaptor said:
:scared: Call your local Jeep dealer! Get a service manual!

Dealer parts dept is closed today, Jan. 1st. Could not find it in my service manual. Anyway, I have bigger problems now like getting the old bolt remains out of the hole!:rattle::tears:

At least I know what all was causing the noise now, time for project easy out, drill the stud remains, easy out the remains of the remains, clean the threads....etc, and replace at least one U-Joint on the front drive shaft, two T-mount bolts and possibly the T-mount. All a lot easier than rebuilding a rear end in my book.

Ecomike said:
Dealer parts dept is closed today, Jan. 1st. Could not find it in my service manual. Anyway, I have bigger problems now like getting the old bolt remains out of the hole!:rattle::tears:

Seems I got lucky. :yap: Turns out the bolts were just missing, not sheared off as I previously thought. The holes just did not line up, either because the T-mount was 180 degrees out of alignment on the prior owners install, or because the tranny was just not lined up.

I am having a hard time finding the right bolts. 7/8-course (14 or 13 TPI?) goes in, and if the threads are dirty can be mistaken for the right bolts, but with clean threads they are too loose and would not hold in the long run. Correct bolt seems to be 12mm-1.75 course thread, but I have been unable to acquire them for confirmation so far. The threaded hole seems to go all the way through so any length between 1 and 2 inch long should work fine.

I am rebuilding the entire front drive shaft, and replacing the T-mount while I have it all apart.

I have a rear clunking sound now in my '92
At first I thought it was the rear brakes, but after driving/listening to it, it appears to be driveshaft related?

The sound comes from the rear a little off-centered to the right

I havn't looked underneath yet as it's friggin cold and slushy around here

The sound seems to coincide with the speed I'm driving, and if I press the gas down at all, it completely goes away until I let off the gas, then it imediatly starts again

Ideas?

My right rear noise at low rpm heavy acceleration in a sharp turn was the front drive shaft u-joints going bad.

Yours sounds more like a rear u-joint going bad based on the no noise under acceleration, and increasing rpm increasing the noise during cruise.

TunaSoda said:
I have a rear clunking sound now in my '92
At first I thought it was the rear brakes, but after driving/listening to it, it appears to be driveshaft related?

The sound comes from the rear a little off-centered to the right

I havn't looked underneath yet as it's friggin cold and slushy around here

The sound seems to coincide with the speed I'm driving, and if I press the gas down at all, it completely goes away until I let off the gas, then it imediatly starts again

Ideas?

Ecomike said:
Sure enough, I have Dana 44's on my front and rear axles! Seems I lucked out as it was my first jeep purchase and at the time I had no idea what axle was what, I just wanted a usable, servicable DD XJ.

http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/gear1.html

Shows the Dana 44 as a front axle option too!

Seems I got lucky and got front and rear Dana 44's on my 87, Wagoneer ltd, 4x4. I payed $1,500 for her in 2004, one of the rare ones!party1:

The front D44 was only an option on some earlier Jeep models and later Wranglers.

Highly doubtful that you have a front D44 unless it was swapped in, or if the vehicle came from South America.

Driveline vibes means setting your angle (shimming the axle), buying new u-joints, and/or buying a Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit. Start with the first two and save the third for last because it's the most expensive of the three. Personally I have done all of the above and I have no issues with 8+ inches of lift.

xjohnnyc said:
The front D44 was only an option on some earlier Jeep models and later Wranglers.

Highly doubtful that you have a front D44 unless it was swapped in, or if the vehicle came from South America.

Wagoneers came with D44's all day long. Note that a Wagoneer and a Cherokee are two completely different things. Waggy's came with real frames and D44's up front and either D44's or AMC 20's in the rear. I've pulled a D44 out of an 86 Wagoneer and a D44 out of a 83 J-10 truck. Both were really nice swaps after I welded all new components on it and make OTK steering.

Note to the other dude... a Wagoneer is not an XJ. XJ's are Cherokees with a unibody frame.

Last edited:
4LowandGo said:
Wagoneers came with D44's all day long. Note that a Wagoneer and a Cherokee are two completely different things. Waggy's came with real frames and D44's up front and either D44's or AMC 20's in the rear. I've pulled a D44 out of an 86 Wagoneer and a D44 out of a 83 J-10 truck. Both were really nice swaps after I welded all new components on it and make OTK steering.

Note to the other dude... a Wagoneer is not an XJ. XJ's are Cherokees with a unibody frame.

Well, that's what I meant by "earlier Jeep Models". But Ecomike has an XJ. So to clarify, there were no XJs that came with a front D44, except those from South America.

And there were XJ Wagoneers. Just not the same as a Grand Wagoneer.

xjohnnyc said:

thats what I was sitting here thinking also....

Mine is a 1987 Wagoneer Ltd. Ed., 4.0 L, with dual D44's, front and rear, 4x4. It is not the grand wagoneer. Except for the trim and headlights, it appears to be and XJ ( And I was told by others here that it is an XJ), but the firewall label as XF in the upper right corner. My 85 Cherokee Pioneer 2 WD (now converted to a diesel) which came stock with the 2.5 L 4 banger, has ZJ on the upper right corner of the firewall label. The 89 and the other 87 I have, both 2 WD, have the XJ on that same label.

From what I have seen posted here and there, the 87 XJ's were the exception, and some (not all) 4x4 87s did come stock with front and rear D44s.

I'd like to see a picture of this front D44. I'm not doubting you (maybe a little :) ), but a picture would be helpful.

xjohnnyc said:
I'd like to see a picture of this front D44. I'm not doubting you (maybe a little :) ), but a picture would be helpful.

Doubt it all you want, :) but It looks EXACTLY like the rear D-44, at least the cover does. Also I tested it, and checked the tag, it's a 3.54:1 stock gear ratio. I was shocked when I serviced them recently thinking I had a rear end problem that luckily turned out to be front U-Joints. That was when I discovered I not only had a rear D44, but front D44.

By the way, mine came with the factory towing package. So far, 99% of the parts on this Wagoneer (it is not a grand wagoneer) at the parts houses (computer searches) are tha same as the XJ Cherokees.

OK, I'm not doubting you at all. :D

But I want to see this axle. Because if it's true, I'll start looking for one in the junkyards.

I just went and took some pictures, seems that old age, senility or mad cow disease is taking its toll here, or else some one stole my Front D44 while I was sleeping, :D that I was I sure I saw under there 2 weeks ago when I replaced the front drive shaft, hmm.

I will post my photos later when I get back, but my front is definately not a D44 like I thought. The bolt pattern, and shape, is wrong, not the same as the rear D44. So it must be a Dana 30 up front after all. Any one have pictures of the front Dana 30's? Yucca mans photo site is missing that one, which is the site I was using as a reference.

So I guess you were right to doubt me after all, LOL!:D:laugh3:

http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/gear1.html

Last edited:
Darn, I'm actually sorry to hear that. :)

And the Dana 30 was the only front XJ axle. There are variations, such as the disco/non-disco and the high/low pinion.

And your Jeep is an XJ. The Wagoneer was only a trim package, such as Sport, Pioneer, Limited, etc. Some Wagoneers had the woodgrain on the sides. And some Wagoneers had the 4-headlamp setup, while other Wagoneers had two.

Last edited:
Back