• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I lost the keys to my 98 Cherokee

weekendmech

NAXJA Forum User
I have lost the igniton keys to my 98 Cherokee. The service manual instructions for replacing the lock cylinder depend on you having the keys in order to move the cylinder to the off position. Well I can not do that. Does anyone know the procedure for removing the old lock cylinder in order to put a new one in if you do not have the keys?

thanks

If I have to drill it out, do you need a large bit like a 1/2" or something?

thanks
Andy

PS I bought the Jeep used and I am sure it has already had the ignition cylinder replaced because the door key and the ignition key were different.

Last edited:
Another alternative is to pull the lock cylinder on the passenger door (it usually has less wear) and take it to a lock smith. They can cut a key using the cylinder as a pattern.

PITA when you have to do this, thats why I have five copies and one hidden up under the rig. Good luck.

Take your regristration and ID to a locksmith and let them cut you one by the VIN. Its usually cheaper than a dealer.

thanks for the ideas, but I am pretty sure that the lock cylinder was replaced by the previous owner. When he replaced it, he did not have it matched up with the other ones. So if I have the dealer cut one, I think it will open the doors, but not turn in the ignition.

Does your door key work in the ignition as well, or are they two seprerate keys like the previous owner gave me?

thanks
Andy

door key is ign key so youre right. getting it cut by the vin wont help you, but id call a locksmith and get a quote before tearing it apart

I once had a locksmith come out and save my behind. He took an aluminum key blank and wiggled it in the lock cylinder. Took a look, filed on the blank some, tried again. After about 5 or 6 wiggles/filings, the door opened. Cost me $50, but I also got a new key. Don't know if you can find the talent in your area, but I saw it firsthand.

Another alternative is to pull the lock cylinder on the passenger door (it usually has less wear) and take it to a lock smith. They can cut a key using the cylinder as a pattern.

PITA when you have to do this, thats why I have five copies and one hidden up under the rig. Good luck.
exactly!
I keep spares under both vehicles and have had to use them on several occasions
here's another scenario
If you have AAA they'll send a locksmith to change out your lock cylinder and depending on your coverage tier will pay up to $150 towards the repair

The problem I have is that I lost the igniton key, not the keys that fit the door lock cylinders. I think normally the keys are the same. When I bought mine, I received two keys. One fit the ignition only, and one fit the outside locks.

My question has been, has anyone had to drill the lock cylinder out of the steering column? If so, what size drill would I need and what would the steps be?

thanks
Andy

I've never done this, but this is what I would do. Take a drill a little bit bigger that the key and drill in the length of the key. That should eliminate the little pins. It seems like you could then turn the inner part to the run position and remove the cylinder in the normal method. (Push little tab on the bottom with a small long screwdriver.)

One other possibility came to mind that worked for me twice. I locked myself out of a Ford, but was able to go around the shop I worked in collecting Ford keys from fellow workers. Both times (different cars) I found that someone elses key worked in my lock. It's probably harder to find a bunch of Chrysler keys to borrow.

Last edited:
I've never done this, but this is what I would do. Take a drill a little bit bigger that the key and drill in the length of the key. That should eliminate the little pins. It seems like you could then turn the inner part to the run position and remove the cylinder in the normal method. (Push little tab on the bottom with a small long screwdriver.)

One other possibility came to mind that worked for me twice. I locked myself out of a Ford, but was able to go around the shop I worked in collecting Ford keys from fellow workers. Both times (different cars) I found that someone elses key worked in my lock. It's probably harder to find a bunch of Chrysler keys to borrow.

I seem to recall hearing that Ford only had 7 different door keys. One day I took my 89 Mustang door key through the parking lot. My door key worked in 3 of the 30 or so late 90's ford that I tried. Lock only keep the amateurs out anyway. A real thief can open it pretty quick with a slim jim.

I seem to recall hearing that Ford only had 7 different door keys. One day I took my 89 Mustang door key through the parking lot. My door key worked in 3 of the 30 or so late 90's ford that I tried. Lock only keep the amateurs out anyway. A real thief can open it pretty quick with a slim jim.

under the heading of "who the f**k does that?"
lucky you didn't get your ass kicked

Back