• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Yet another Misfire thread...

Jays siik xj

NAXJA Forum User
Where to begin... My 93 XJ was running fine up until a few days ago. While I was driving it seem to lack a lil power so when I got home I checked it out. Seemed to be misfiring. I checked all plugs wires and injector plugs yet I still have the problem. I jump in my jeep the next day to move it and it was running fine so I drove it for the day. Ran normal the whole day. Today again go to start it up and its misfiring.

I changed plugs and wires rightnow... still having the problem.

Maybe cap and rotor?
I dont know what else it might be.

you scan it yet? mine does somethin similar when the throttle position sensor is goin south

Try and determine if it a particular cylinder or random.

Pull each of the plugs and examine the condition.

When it is misfiring try unplugging each injector in turn looking for no change in the idle/misfire.

I'm having the same problem with #3 in my 01, I replaced all the plug and the ignition coil and still have the problem. I don't want to hijack this thread, but how do you check compression? and secondly if you swap the injector connectors will that tell you anything other then if the connector is the problem?

If it makes a difference, the injector was faulty. If it makes no difference, the injector is not faulty.

Compression test: warm up engine, pull out spark plugs, insert compression tester into spark plug hole and crank with throttle wide open. Record reading for all cylinders. Crank for about 5 seconds. Should be 120 to 150 PSI. I think they also say less than 10% variation between cylinders. Don't bother with the rubber donut sealing testers. You need the screw in kind.

Jay,

Yes, you have to replace the cap and rotor. Extremely wise to eliminate any tuneup hardware before moving onto more complex causes.

Injectors can be tested electrically and swapped to see if the misfire follows. The old "swap and follow" strategy.

Compression testing never a bad idea just in case it's a mechanical problem.

Post back what you find.

Back