• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep wont start when its hot

Jesusfreak0190

NAXJA Forum User
I am having problems with my 98 XJ whenever I drive it about 15 mile and it heats to 210 it will stall if I leave my foot off the gas for awhile and then it wont start up until it cools all the way down. any ideas??

Check your temp sensor

Describe fully what happens. 1) Does it come to a slow and sputtering stop or 2) does it abruptly stop running like you disconnected something ?

What happens when it won't start, 3) does the starter turn the engine, 4) does it make funny a noise and not even turn over, 5) does it try and run at all, 6) do you need to use the gas pedal to get it to start, 7) does it run roughly once it starts, 8) does it just crank and crank but never starts up ?

Automatic trans ? Try wiggling the shifter lever at the same time your turn the key.

Last edited:
it will only die if i take my foot off the gas petal and it doesn't die immediately it slowly drops rpm and then dies. and when I try to start it up the starter turns over but the engine never starts I am getting plenty of fuel pressure. it does not make any strange noises. once the engine cools down in about an hour or so it will start right up like normal and yes it does run rough it only gets about 8 mpg i ran a code reader on it and it said the EVAP purge valve canister was bad, the o2 sensor and the IAC, I switched out the IAC and it is still doing it. could the EVAP purge canister or o2 sensors cause this problem??

So I went ahead and drove the jeep till it stalled, tried starting it and it would not start, then I sprayed the crank position sensor with carburetor cleaner because its so cold and the jeep started right up, I am assuming that is the problem with it not starting. thank you guys for your help!!!

Back