• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Valve cover gasket, straight 6

Rescue xj

NAXJA Forum User
Time for a valve cover gasket.

Checkers gave me a $62 offer, for one with grommets. What would I do with the grommets? That seems illogical.

Carquest told me $28.

I was thinking of using yamabond.

Grommets? I didn't think that the AMC I6 used "centre studs" on the valve cover - that's what you would need the grommets for (to go around the retaining studs.)

Should just be a simple gasket - I think I paid around $15 for one, last time I got it. What year? I can give you a Fel-Pro part number (I don't have a Victor-Reinz catalogue, or I'd give you that number as well...)

5-90

Is it for a 1996 or later model? Than yes, you have to use a special type of gasket that is metal overlaid with rubber, a cork gasket or silicone won't due. The metal is centered by head studs and grommets are used on the valve cover bolts. This is because later model engines have a stamped steel valve cover instead of a cast aluminum valve cover and the stamped steel does not have a nice flat wide surface for the gasket to seat. The price should be less than $62 IIRC, the dealer here sold them for less.

AlohaBra said:
Yep...his profile says 96 MY XJ.

True - but my profile sez 1988 XJ (as I recall.) That's just the one I drive every day.

With five XJ's of my own, I tend to assume that the profile just covers the one that gets used the most... Doesn't necessarily mean that's the one we're talking about or working on, tho...

5-90

bajacalal said:
Is it for a 1996 or later model? Than yes, you have to use a special type of gasket that is metal overlaid with rubber, a cork gasket or silicone won't due. The metal is centered by head studs and grommets are used on the valve cover bolts. This is because later model engines have a stamped steel valve cover instead of a cast aluminum valve cover and the stamped steel does not have a nice flat wide surface for the gasket to seat. The price should be less than $62 IIRC, the dealer here sold them for less.

I got a cork one from my buddy at Napa...came out to around $40 i believe....no more leaking...and this is on a 99.

I bought a cork/rubber composite valve cover gasket by Victor Renz at Napa, yesterday, for $14 and change---for a 1990. Car parts usually cost us more in Canada- some of those prices posted for a simple gasket are beyond reality.

Back