• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

convert to column shift

urbexx

NAXJA Forum User
I would REALLY like to have the space currently occupied by the floor shifter in my '91 AW4 equipped XJ, and thus have been thinking about a few different options. One is moving the factory shifter back, and maybe to the side a bit more, but I think the much better option is to just swap to a column shifter.

Obviously the easiest way will be to just swap out the entire column. What I'm wondering is since at least up through '90, the steering columns where GM Saginaw units, can I source a column out of something like an S10 or midsize car? Or does it have to come out of a XJ/MJ to be a bolt in swap?

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of....I've been searching the junkyards around here for a few months now, and haven't seen a single column shift setup....actually, now that I think about it, I think I've only seen maybe 2 or 3 in my life. Which is largely why I was hoping I could just get one from some GM car/truck. I may still go that route, and just deal with the custom fab work needed to get it in.

Back