• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas tank skid question

Bouncy

NAXJA Forum User
I picked one up a while back and went to install it tonight.

From the looks of it, the Steel Skid mounts between the hitch rails and the frame. With the straps going around the skid instead of around the tank itself.

1990 XJ

Anyone have a picture or can confirm it mounts between the frame and hitch before I try to take the hitch down??

Thanks.

Leave the straps on the tank. Before I built my new bumper, the skid went between the frame rail and the hitch.

Ed Zachary. I did have trouble getting all the holes lined up nicely so I could get 4 bolts on each side. I think I even re-drilled a hole or two on the factory skid.

Ok, I have a OEM gas tank skid ready to install. Well I tried and it seems that I will have to remove that plastic skid to do so. It seems necessary because the skid won't fit up around the tank all the way. What is the easiest way to remove this since it is clipped on and help by the straps.

Don't remove that plastic one just take a tin snips to it and cut the snot out of it until the metal skid will fit.

riverfever said:
Don't remove that plastic one just take a tin snips to it and cut the snot out of it until the metal skid will fit.

What he said. JIM.

To everyone that has done this. Did you all just cut up the edges of the plastic skid so the OEM steel skid would fit? Are there any other tricks that I need to know as well. From the looks of my mock up I think I may have to visit the exhaust shop becuase my tail pipe is probably going to rub on the skid. Thanks.

This seems like a common problem. Hell, my exhaust rattles when I stick my foot in the go pedal!

If the exhaust clamp hits the skid, try a regular hose clamp at that point.

tgoff said:
To everyone that has done this. Did you all just cut up the edges of the plastic skid so the OEM steel skid would fit? Are there any other tricks that I need to know as well. From the looks of my mock up I think I may have to visit the exhaust shop becuase my tail pipe is probably going to rub on the skid. Thanks.

Trim the plastic until the skid will fit over it.The exhaust should be loose/moved out of the way until skid is bolted down(up).Then the mount in the frame rail may have to be moved,drill a pilot hole and use a large self-tapping bolt to secure the hanger.
Wayne

Theres been some threads on this in the past. Its a little confusing because, depending on what year Jeep you have and what hitch you have, the skid may go under or above the hitch, I dont remember the specifics though. The good thing is you cant do it wrong because it will only fit one way.
As for the plastic shield. You definately need to remove some of it. There was some debate on how much to remove. The thought was that if you leave most of it, crud will be held between the plastic and the tank and eventually rot it out. For this reason, I cut all of the plastic shield out except what is under the bands basically.

What is the transition year for the plastic trim on the fuel tank? I'm thinking it changed over to the new tank design in '97. Can anyone confirm this?

rocknxj said:
What is the transition year for the plastic trim on the fuel tank? I'm thinking it changed over to the new tank design in '97. Can anyone confirm this?

Yes, the change was in 97. JIM.

Back