• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can't unscrew steering box cap...

CharlieMopps

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone got any tips on unscrewing the steering box cap? I'm rebuilding mine, and have it mostly torn appart, but am stuck on the end that fits over the shaft that comes from the steering wheel linkage.

It has 2 pinholes, and is supposed to use one of those pinhole wrenchs but it's A. Old as hell B. Stuck and C. I can't find a wrench big enough

So I cut up one of the wrenches for my angle grinder (ironically with my angle grinder) and welded them to a piece of angle iron so it'd be the right size. Total fail. I can't get any leverage on it at all.

Then I stuck a punch in the hole and pounded on it. Didnt move at all.

So I tried my air hammer on it... it just started widening the holes.

Any ideas?

The end at the bottom right of this pic is what Im talking about. This is NOT my box, mine looks a lot older and lot more cruddy. lol

download.php

Walk into a shop and ask for them to pop it off for you. Most good shops will do it on spot for free, I'd venture to guess anyhow.

~Scott

Back