• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Block coolant drain plug? (pic attatched)

NVRwheels

NAXJA Forum User
Is this the coolant drain for the block? If so than the previous owner never put the plug back in and that could probably explain why the engine is screwed.

chea014.jpg

RENIX block? The coolant drain plug should be higher up.

That looks more like the port for the knock sensor (should go into a blind hole, and probably threaded either 3/8"-16 or M10-1.5) down that close to the sump rail.

The block drain should be a bit higher and farther back, and take something like a 5/16" or 8m/m square drive (both are effectively the same.) I've been informed that it's threaded 3/8"NPT, which fact I'll probably take advantage of sooner or later...

Dead on Jon, thats the Knock Sensor hole there, the block drain is higher in the pic just peeking out from under the exhaust manifold. If its a RENIX (87-90) you do not have to have a knock sensor. If its a 91+ it doesn't have one anyway. By the wetness on the side of the motor it appears you may have a freeze plug leak, leaky valve cover or fuel leak on that side of the engine.

i never use the drain plug, i hear you have to fab a tool to fit.

search... its there, i just read it last month.

Back