• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do I get the front bumper off?

Reindeer

NAXJA Forum User
New foglights.
I can get to the right (passenger side) from underneath, but the left (driver's) side is hard to reach.
I want to take the front bumper off, and the Chilton manual is no help.
I found the bolts on the bottom of the bumper (including torx), but the top inside are still attached.
Is there a good way to get the front bumper off?
Where are the bolts holding it on, specifically?
Thanks.

The easiest way is to remove the three bolts that attach the bumper bracket to the frame rail on each side

Yup i just put some PIAA 520 Fogs on mine, just took off the three bolts on the rails and off it came its really easy.
-Allen

karstic said:
The easiest way is to remove the three bolts that attach the bumper bracket to the frame rail on each side

Very good. Thanks for the reply.
What's the best way to get at them?

Also, how do I route the electrical wiring through the firewall?

Reindeer, there's a good possibility those bolts with captured nuts will snap off when you remove them. Mine did. I replaced them with regular bolts/nuts/lockwashers, 5/8" I believe.

Runnin'OnEmpty said:
Reindeer, there's a good possibility those bolts with captured nuts will snap off when you remove them. Mine did. I replaced them with regular bolts/nuts/lockwashers, 5/8" I believe.

Why do that? The "captured nuts", as you call them, are dirt cheap and can be had at most parts stores.

Just toss a little antisieze on them...

Runnin'OnEmpty said:

Thanks to both of you for the tips.
I wonder why AMC/Jeep went with clip on nuts here.
Maybe to save weight? Maybe because it's in a hidden place?
Would real bolts cause more damage in an accident?
Just wondering.

take off bolts, if other things come off than the bumper you've taken too many bolts off :conceited god what happened to the ability to learn from experience? this thread worries me...........

karstic said:

Actually the easiest way is wrap a tow strap around a tree, then wrap it around the bumper, then drive really, really fast in reverse. ;)
:

Back