• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cel code 76

It is telling you to check/test the ballast resistor on the driver's side fenderwell--that white ceramic thing with the two wires attached, one on each end of it.

You can by pass the ballast resistor and just splice the two wires together.

What does the ballast resistor do? Thanks for your help

It is there to serve two purposes (I think):

1. Reduces voltage to the fuel pump so that it will run quieter.

2. Reduces voltage to the fuel pump so that it will run longer.

Either way, it is essentially a problem waiting to happen.

i'm getting the same code on my 94, its running terribly rich if it runs at all. give me your $.2 joe!!! and wvmike, i'll be investigating mine all day today so if i come up with a fix then i'll let you know, if i don't just bump the thread so i'll notice it in my subscriped threads. good luck!

i'm getting the same code on my 94, its running terribly rich if it runs at all. give me your $.2 joe!!! and wvmike, i'll be investigating mine all day today so if i come up with a fix then i'll let you know, if i don't just bump the thread so i'll notice it in my subscriped threads. good luck!

Too rich = o2 sensor bad, CTS bad, fuel pressure too high, exhaust leak upstream of o2 sensor, bad injector(s), engine not reaching normal operating temperature.

Pull the spark plugs and see if the rich condition is on all cylinders.

alright thanks joe, i posted my own thread so not to jack this one, it has a new o2 sensor, i don't know of a way to test injectors so maybe i should look for some used ones to see if they change anything, and exhaust leak never crossed my mind either,

my new thread is "code 76 on my '94" you are invited!

Last edited:
cool thanks for the help, it took me a few months to figure it out but hey it was a free fix in the end, the only cost are a couple inches of wire and 3 wire nuts!

i'm glad to have my xj healthy again, i can sleep well again!

Back