• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

xj 6 inch lift

toe_nee90

NAXJA Forum User
Alright so currently on my 92 Cherokee Laredo I believe it has 3.5" lift of mixed and matched brands from when i bought it not long ago.

I'm thinking of increasing to at least 6" and up of lift, but I'm not quite sure how to increase my existing lift,

Should I just take everything off and start from basics or would I just need to go out and buy some 6" coil springs for the front and 6" leafs for the rear, along with the other things needed like longer shocks, extended brake lines and bump-stops etc..

Is a transfer case drop kit required/ how would i know if i already have one on?

Would it be possible just to throw some springs, leafs and shocks on there and after some steering adjustments I'm good to go?

I'm just getting into the jeep hobby/ more like lifestyle haha an lovin it
Any advise from anyone out there would be greatly appreciated so i don't do anything stupid. :wierd:

Here's a pic of her so far:

0827081821-01.jpg

Theres tons of info on the site about lifting this high I suggest you use the search feature. But to put it simply for you it wont be as easy as you think it will and it definately isnt cheap. Your gonna need new control arms either longarms or short arms/drop brackets, shocks, sye, springs, sway bar discos, driveshafts, brake lines and steering would be something to consider too..Just a heads up.

Last edited:
it is a little bit involved to go from 3" to 6". I just went from 3.5" to 6.5" with a long arm setup in the front. At 3-3.5" you are basically at the limit for stock components, at 6" you need to replace quite a few things. Here's a basic list of things you'll need:

1. new lower control arms with drop brackets
2. extended front and rear brake lines (yj brake lines work great in the front)
3. longer shocks
4. slip yoke eliminator and extended driveshaft (using a hack n tap and front driveshaft in the rear is the cheapest way to go and works great)
5. new rear leaf packs or bastard pack and shackles
6. dropped pitman arm
7. adjustable track bar
8. definitely a good idea to upgrade the steering linkage (zj v8 tie rod is an easy upgrade)
9. extended bump stops

I'm sure I've forgotten some things, but those are the basics.

10. Wheels and tires

I am going to reccomend going to 4.5 inchs first so coils leafs shocks and LCA's and some brake line's or relocator's. ADJ. track bar is a must. I would keep your rear leafs and put some shackles on it and it should be good. for the front i would get new coils.

I would also highly reccomend plating the inside and outside of the unibody where the steering box attaches to the unibody. Most aftermarket bumpers have mounting brackets that tie far enough back serving as the outside plate for the three steering box bolts. There are companies that make plates for the inside wall. A steering box brace isn't a bad idea. The Currie HD steering setup has done well for me and keeps the stock steering geometry. at 5.5" of lift I didn't have to use a drop pitman arm. The slip yolk eliminator will be a must as well as a new track bar setup.

IMG_0881.sized.jpg

Before I adjusted the track bar pulling to far to the left ...
IMG_0912.sized.jpg

I would also highly reccomend plating the inside and outside of the unibody where the steering box attaches to the unibody. Most aftermarket bumpers have mounting brackets that tie far enough back serving as the outside plate for the three steering box bolts. There are companies that make plates for the inside wall. A steering box brace isn't a bad idea. The Currie HD steering setup has done well for me and keeps the stock steering geometry. at 5.5" of lift I didn't have to use a drop pitman arm. The slip yolk eliminator will be a must as well as a new track bar setup.

IMG_0881.sized.jpg

Before I adjusted the track bar pulling to far to the left ...
IMG_0912.sized.jpg

Dude everything looks New... has that jeep ever been on the road? haha

Back