• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cheap SYE Alternatives?

Hubbazoot

NAXJA Forum User
I searched around a bit for a budget SYE option and all I could find was an article here by old_man that required more parts/tools than I have access to. Does anyone have any ideas for how to do an SYE for fairly cheap? I know RE has a SYE kit for about $200. Any ideas that are cheaper than that?

Edit: Please don't mention T-case drops.

Last edited:
hack n tap with a front driveshaft is the cheapest. how much lift do you have? you might be able to do a tc drop and a shim with a tj yolk
mike

Not really needed unless you shim correctly. I would say a 4 degree shim should fix it good. If not I am sorry to say you will need a t-case drop. If you don't wanna loose clearance i would say go with the rustys tcase crossmember with added 1 inch drop I had one that i gave away for free. I should have sold it for money But I didn't need it and got it gone the day after i posted it.

Also you can get an extended yoke for the input to the tcase which is an inch or so longer. I think i have a friend that has one that i could possibly steal haha.

Not really needed unless you shim correctly. I would say a 4 degree shim should fix it good. If not I am sorry to say you will need a t-case drop. If you don't wanna loose clearance i would say go with the rustys tcase crossmember with added 1 inch drop I had one that i gave away for free. I should have sold it for money But I didn't need it and got it gone the day after i posted it.

Also you can get an extended yoke for the input to the tcase which is an inch or so longer. I think i have a friend that has one that i could possibly steal haha.
:dunno: unless?? do you mean if?

Where do I get shims and how do I install them?

some new leaf packs come with em. like my RC 4.5 inch ones came with a 6 degree shim. You can also get em at any spring shop or 4x4 shop. They install directly under the leaf inbetween the axle and the spring.

And what i mean by unless Is you don't really need an sye on that amount of lift. You might not even get vibes at all just stock. But if you go any bigger then 4.5 you will need an sye.

SYEs are forced down peoples throat on this site. I had 6.5" lift and no sye on a 99 xj with a t case drop and shims and didnt have a problem. My 91 has 4.5-5" lift and has no problems even at the "H" on MPH (whats that like 120?). My buddy has a 97 xj at 8" lift a 1 in t case drop, no shims, on a stock drive shaft and doesnt get vibrations untill 80 mph. EVERY JEEP IS DIFFERENT. I always alway say lift it first, then decide if you need one.
Odds are you probably wont need one if your driveline is all good at 3.5. You can do a t-case drop which you dont wanna hear, so I wont tell you thats its the route you should go because your obvously on a budget. You can also get rear axle shims and correct your pinion angle, if you go this route just get the solid steel ones, because the cast and cast alluminum ones brake all the time. The cheapest route to go with a SYE is a hack n tap w/ a front shaft.

Back