• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

POR on rockers?

paroxysym

NAXJA Forum User
i was wondering if anyone has considered doing POR as a way of repainting/covering their rockers? i thought about it this past weekend and im considering it. i dont know how it will hold up to rocks and such. figured id see if anyone was running it?

From what I understand it'd need a UV-resistant topcoat. Other than that, I can't offer much insight.

I just painted my rock sliders. I put two coats of POR15 as the base coat, then some primer, then three coats of Rustoleum for the reason Rob mentioned.

While installing the sliders, I needed to gently persuade them into place .... meaning I wailed on them with a 3lb sledge pretty darn hard. The Rustoleum chipped away, but the POR15 didn't even get a scratch - no bare metal showing through. Its some pretty tough stuff - I think it will stand up to rocks quite nicely.

i POR15'd the floor of my old VW. just for kicks i painted up an old piece of exhaust pipe, and beat the living hell out of it with a hammer. the pipe dented all to hell but the POR never cracked, its like it bonds with the metal or something its hard to explain. its pretty awesome stuff.

Yea por 15 is really a nice coating. Expensive, but worth it. My buddy coated his frame on his Dakota with it, and it has stood up extremely well to the PA salt and grime. It's also about 3 inches off the ground...

When I weld on frame stiffeners and re-work my fenderwells, I want to use this in conjunction with paint for a bulletproof finish.

Ah yes, good point, however valid with almost any high grade coating. If there is oil, a slick surface, dirt, anything in between, the paint won't stick. It will appear to because it makes a hard coating over it, but it's almost like the part has been dipped in rubber. Once you break the surface, game over it's all coming off. You need god chemical AND mechanical adhesion. So whatever you put over it clean, clean, clean. Then once more.

What you need is POR-15's Metal Ready, spray it on, let it stay wet for 20 minutes or so and then hose it off, let the surface completely dry and add the POR-15 thereafter, let it dry for 3-5 hours then recoat once again. POR-15 is not made to be used as a primary coat over metal that is going to be exposed to sunlight. Use a topcoat like Rustoleum, Duplicolor. I prefer using any paint that POR-15 makes personally. They make paint for just about any application and it's worth it's weight in gold. Best product under the sun bar none.

Best product under the sun bar none

Ehhh I wouldn't go as far as saying that, but yes it is a nice coating when applied correctly.

One product that I prefer better: SPI epoxy primer, top coated with your choice of single stage urethane. Totally bulletproof.

I think most people don't realize that POR15 wasn't even intended to be used over clean metal. While it does serve the purpose well, if youre metal is clean and prepped you might as well use something that you KNOW will last. POR stand for Paint Over Rust. It was designed to be used like a beefed up rustoleum, just brush it on over your rust or corrosion (cleaned).

POR-15 x2 - Tie Coat Primer x1 - Rustoleum Black Hammered x2.

After about 5 years the Rustoleum is faded and weathered looking but the only rust is on the bottoms where they've been gouged up and a little bubbling on the leading edge (probably pinholes from sand and stones that made it through the POR-15).

Also I've done a couple of front bumpers that way and they've got a lot more of that rust bubbling especially on the corners off the leading surface so I think it is road particles - sand and salt - penetrating at highway speed causing that.

Last edited:
Back