• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 wheel wobble...

BillR

Toy Jeep driver!
I have a SLIGHT wobble in my driver's side rear wheel. I can't feel it when driving, but I can see it if I have the rear on jackstands with the driveline running. I've changed the wheels side-side, and I've also swapped the shafts and bearings when I did the Super 88 kit. The carrier bearings are fairly new, as I installed them about 2 years ago when I put the Detroit in.
I pulled the rotor yesterday and put a dial caliper on the outer edge of the axle flange. I get a deflection of about .009" when the axle turns. This (to me) would indicate a bent axle shaft, but the wobble was also there before I swapped shafts.
1. What else could it be? (housing, bad carrier?)
2. Is it anything I need to be concerned about?

TIA!:wave:

Did you bend a wheel? Try swapping your wheel/tires to a different spot.

CartsXJ said:
Did you bend a wheel? Try swapping your wheel/tires to a different spot.
I did that. I swapped the wheels side-side and also tried the spare. The wobble is there w/NO wheel on it.

just checking, I didn't see you mention it in the other post.

And I am not sure .009" is anything to worry about.

That could be a bad side gear, though those rarely get bad enough to produce a wheel wobble. .009" at 3" from center is actually pretty bad 15"-17" inches from centerline.

What is factory tolerance?

Ok, I just drew it up real quick......its a little over an inch out of round at 17"........I guess that would cause a funny ride.

Last edited:
CRASH said:
That could be a bad side gear, though those rarely get bad enough to produce a wheel wobble. .009" at 3" from center is actually pretty bad 15"-17" inches from centerline.
The carrier is a Detroit locker. Are you thinking a bad side gear in that?
The funny thing is I can't feel a thing going down the road.
I called Superior and they want me to measure the runout on the face of the flange instead of the edge. I'll do that tonight and see what's up...

I have about .004" runout measured on the face of the axle flange. There's no play in-out at the axle. Is that bad?

BillR said:
I have a SLIGHT wobble in my driver's side rear wheel. I can't feel it when driving, but I can see it if I have the rear on jackstands with the driveline running. I've changed the wheels side-side, and I've also swapped the shafts and bearings when I did the Super 88 kit. The carrier bearings are fairly new, as I installed them about 2 years ago when I put the Detroit in.
I pulled the rotor yesterday and put a dial caliper on the outer edge of the axle flange. I get a deflection of about .009" when the axle turns. This (to me) would indicate a bent axle shaft, but the wobble was also there before I swapped shafts.
1. What else could it be? (housing, bad carrier?)
2. Is it anything I need to be concerned about?

In one of the other posts you mention that you are measuring the edge of the flange vs the face of the flange

Is it possible the flange is out of round by .009 ? This would cause a small balance issue but I do not believe that it would be enough to feel at road speed.

Jeff

BillR said:
and I've also swapped the shafts and bearings when I did the Super 88 kit.

This is the part that is confusing.

CRASH said:
This is the part that is confusing.
Yep, everything is new all the way to the carrier. (shafts, bearings, seals, mounting flange, bolts)
And again, it was doing the wobble before all of this went it....:wierd:

BillR said:
Yep, everything is new all the way to the carrier. (shafts, bearings, seals, mounting flange, bolts)
And again, it was doing the wobble before all of this went it....:wierd:

Have you measured runout on the other side?

It kind of all points to a badly machined carier that is wobbling the whole shaft, I would pull the cover and check runout on the Detroit.

CRASH said:
Have you measured runout on the other side?

It kind of all points to a badly machined carier that is wobbling the whole shaft, I would pull the cover and check runout on the Detroit.
That possibility makes perfect sense Andy EXCEPT...;)
I would imagine that a carrier bad enough to cause a wobble 3" from a fixed pivot point (the bearing) and 31" from itself (shaft length) would be making all kinds of nasty noises and vibrations. Maybe?? That'd be sweet if that was it. A perfect excuse for a selectable locker back there.:laugh3:
It almost has to be either the carrier or the housing, correct? I'm going to check the housing good tomorrow and see what's up...

Back