• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ A/C troubles

x1995j

NAXJA Forum User
Recently my 95 XJ's A/C has been acting up. When I first start it up it blows nice refreshing cold air. However after it has been on for a long period of time it begins to blow what feels like cool (neither hot nor cold) humid air.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

My '96 has been doing the same. When I turn it on, I notice the the alternator has been not charging as usual. My Voltage Gauge has been dropping down to 10 volts and I have been getting terrible gas mileage. I know I must replace my compressor however who has money to do that. I live in Florida and A/C is a necessity.

Recently my 95 XJ's A/C has been acting up. When I first start it up it blows nice refreshing cold air. However after it has been on for a long period of time it begins to blow what feels like cool (neither hot nor cold) humid air.

Thanks for your help.
likely a bad low pressure switch causing it to ice up try searching "low pressure switch" i tried that search not much luck. its a switch that threads in its located on the pass side near the firewall should be ontop of a canister looking thing itll have 2 wires coming out of it trace your a/c lines back to the firewall if ya cant find it

Last edited:
My '96 has been doing the same. When I turn it on, I notice the the alternator has been not charging as usual. My Voltage Gauge has been dropping down to 10 volts and I have been getting terrible gas mileage. I know I must replace my compressor however who has money to do that. I live in Florida and A/C is a necessity.

There is nothing wrong with your alternator, most pre 97 XJ's do that. It's a design flaw having something to do with sharing the same wiring with the volt meter and other heating and cooling parts. Always verify voltage at the battery not the gauge, it's a known liar.

You say the air temperature changes from cold to not so cold. This may be evaporator freeze up. Another key symptom is reduced air flow. The evaporator (inside the HVAC box under the dash) builds up ice and blocks the air flow. This is more common during high humidity weather. Some vehicles (like Durangoes - not sure about XJ's) are prone to evap freeze up even if everything is in perfect condition. Remembering that this is the high humidity air freezing on the coil, a few things can be done to reduce the likelihood of this happening. Don't leave the windows part way open while running the air. Keep the fan in the higher speed ranges and back off on the temp control when it gets too cold instead of leaving it on coldest and slowing the fan. Running in recirc mode (max cool) means that you are running air that has already been dehumidified over the coil again instead of using higher humidity air from outside. The "freon" charge can also be critical in some systems and for best results should be evacuated and added back by weight.

Thanks for your help.

What do you mean by "long period of time"? How long? Does it start blowing cold again on it's own or do you do something to get it back to cold (like shut it off)? How long does that take?

Also make sure that the drain is clear. If you see a puddle in the driveway under the passenger side firewall after running A\C for a while then your probably ok.

The cold air stops blowing anywhere between 20 and 40 minutes. I usually turn the A/C off when this happens. Once I let my Jeep sit turned off it usually blows cold air again. When I am highway driving and this happens I turn the A/C off and it usually does not blow cool air for the rest of the trip.

Back