• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oxy acetylene welder???

jmeti000

NAXJA Forum User
I just moved into a house and there was a bunch of stuff left in the shed, including an oxy acetylene welding kit...it looks pretty complete minus the two tanks.. but ive never used one before. Anyone have experience with them? Is it worth keepin around and getting tanks for or should i get rid of it to the highest bidder? And what all can you do with them (besides the obvious)? I have mig welded before, but are they better mig welders?

Depends all on what your trying to weld. I personally think oxy is good for things such as exhaust welding. Wirefeed (MIG) are always nice. They can be used for many types of applications and are pretty easy to learn how to operate properly. Good luck and this is just my .02 : )

keep it and get a cutting tip or kit for it as well so you can cut things with it. i wouldnt get rid of it.

No no, you should defiantly get rid of it........and ill pay for shipping :D

They are certainly fun to play with, and useful especially for cutting. Definately keep it, and go rent some tanks. Of course you'll also need some gloves, a mask, and some welding rod.

I think for welding, they are absolutely useless. But I also have a nice mig :) Now for cutting, they work like a champ. Only takes a couple seconds to buzz through some 1/4 or thicker.

[FONT=&quot]I have had mine for decades. I have found it useful for cutting, silver soldering, bending and yes, even welding (before buying the arc and mig welders).
Years ago I made a several gas tanks with it.
Silver soldering is useful for connecting small metal pieces and adaptors.
With a set of jeweler’s torches, you can weld really small stuff.
There is nothing better than a big rosebud tip for bending large chunks of metal.

[/FONT]

If its got the mini bottles and you can get them filled deffentally a great trail tool, maybe not for you (depends on your kind of wheeling) but for some its almost a must :gee:

Keep it for cutting and bending. I agree with dan that it is 70% uselessfor most welding applications. You pretty much have to stay in the 1g position a opposed to mig which is all position

Wow, that's just... wow.

Anyways, In highschool welding class I learned how to weld with Oxy/Ace. I loved it. It was easy to learn and I could see what I was doing better than I could with the arc and mig because you don't need that dark of a shield. And for cutting it was a blast. Although I did set my pants on fire constantly, the bottoms if they were freyed would catch in a second from the shower of metal and sparks. The sneakers I wore in there had the laces melted together from fires.

I just used my O/A to weld up my jeep the other day. Works great, but i've been using that process for a few years now. Keep it, if its name brand it will last your lifetime most likely.

Making acetylene bombs with trash bags, now that is a fun time every 4th.

Back