• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hey guys maybe you can help me out

AJTorris

NAXJA Forum User
well i blew up my manual transmission and I have an automatic that i am gonna be swapping in. I was wondering if anyone has done this before?

If it's an AW4 from a XJ, you would need its electronics. This is probably easier with earlier models where trans/engine were controlled by separate computer units. You'd need a TCU, some wiring, and a TPS from an auto XJ. There's something resembling a kickdown cable too. Most likely more difficult if your Jeep is a newer model where the trans is controlled by the engine computer, prolly involves a new ECU and even more new wiring. If your putting in a 700R4, or some other auto, you're gonna need an adaptor to hook to the engine, prolly some way to mount it to the xmember, and that thing likely has a "real" kickdown cable you need to rig up.
Well whichever situation you are in, I've never done it before :D, so wait for some more specific imput. I'm in the process of trying to destroy my AW4 so I need to do the opposite swap, but I can't seem to kill it.....

its an aw4 that is going into my renix. Its an 87. I am not sure what year the tranny came out of. I will find out tuesday though. I have a buddy here in town did it on his mj so he is gonna be helping me but i wanted to find out everything i could.....

and mike shut up. Its harder than hell for me to wheel with a manual. but oh well

im just giving you crap man, i know driving a manual isnt as easy as a auto, and that im sure wheeling it is a real pain in the butt. i give you mad props for keeping it alive this long, if you had an auto to begin with it prolly wouldnt of broke, and you would of been the 2nd rig to make it out w/o a problem.

just think of it this way, you wheel this good with a manual, wait until you get an automatic you will be like a trail master lol

If the AW4 is from a 91+ you will need a flexplate from a Renix era AW4 or else your engine won't start up.

??Splines counts Match Up those years??

-might check the seals are good while apart.

-good time to add trans cooler.

Good Luck,
o

Well i needed to move my jeep and figured i would try to see if i can drive it lol. Well if i leave it in neutral and start off like it is in 2nd gear i can drive it, Cant shift it but can at least drive it around the yard lol.... What could this be....

... prolly just smoked the clutch itself, should be able to put in new clutch plates and drive it like normal shouldnt you? you didnt thrash any of the gears right? just got the clutch plates real hot and glazed em over?

i know when i had a 4 wheeler, when you fried the clutch plates you couldnt shift into any gears either until you put in new clutch plates then it drove like new again...

sounds like he may have blown the slave cylinder. does it stay in gear when the clutch is pushed in?

the ba/10 is not a great trans. ive been lucky so far after 245k miles in 89.

If it's an AW4 from a XJ, you would need its electronics. This is probably easier with earlier models where trans/engine were controlled by separate computer units.

The AW4 always had a seperate computer. It just moved in the later years. On the AW4 you need 97 or older as there were changes in 98 that mean it won't work with the older TCUs.

There are lots of writeups on here. Some searching should get you a nice list of parts you needs to grab, some help on splicing in the TCU wiring, etc.

well i am going to look at replacing the clutch and slave cylinder. see if that will make it work again thanks guys

replacing the slave can be quite challenging. i did it in my driveway a few years ago and it was a time consuming process. you need to pull the trans/transfercase away from the engine to get access to the slave.

you will need an e-12(external torx) socket to remove the top 2 bellhousing bolts.

Back