• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NSS Bypass?

Sheeper

NAXJA Forum User
IS there an easy way to bypass the Neutral Safety Switch? mine doesent work, i can start it all the time by messin arround in neutral and park, i fugured that part out, but my reverse lights dont work and if i bypass this will they work or is there another trick to this?

Basicly i want my rev lights to work ..

bypassing it is a crappy idea.

Take it off
take it apart
clean it out with electric part cleaner
you can use a pencil eraser to clean the copper back to a shiny state
pack with dielectric grease
put case back together
re-install
-the fun part, re-aligning it to where your brake lights come on. Get it on there then with the brakes set, wheels chocked, and the truck in reverse gently rotate it back and forth till the lights come on. Then try to start in both park and neutral. If it works you are done.

It take a bit of work, but this is the best and safest way. You could get a new switch, but taking it off and putting it back on are the hardest parts. Cleaning the insides is easy, and new switches cost a lot.

Dave

Hallo. The NSS is for your and our safety. (crappy idea)
But you can try to make a jumpwire from the starterrelay to ground.
(from pin #86).
One of the jobs of the NSS is making ground to the chassis.

You can do that also from the connector to the NSS, but I don't know the wire colours.

Last edited:
I have this problem on my 1996 manual ax-15 but cannot locate the safety switch on the clutch. The starter is clicking if I am on or off the clutch. what the hell?

I have this problem on my 1996 manual ax-15 but cannot locate the safety switch on the clutch. The starter is clicking if I am on or off the clutch. what the hell?
starter clicking is more a symptom of low battery. The NSS won't even let the starter engage if you have one. My '87 5-spd doesn't have an NSS.

Battery has 14 volts. All connections are clean and tight. I put on a new starter and the old one bench tested just fine. Still click click. It has to be a bad connection but I cannot find it. Could it be anything else?

The clutch safety switch is at the top of the pedal assembly. But with the starter clicking with you on or off the clutch, either it is already bypassed, or that is not the starter clicking.

Battery has 14 volts. All connections are clean and tight. I put on a new starter and the old one bench tested just fine. Still click click. It has to be a bad connection but I cannot find it. Could it be anything else?

With vehicle carefully OUT of Gear, and park brake on/wheels chocked, try jumping from large wire terminal on starter across to the small wire terminal with a screwdriver or similar. This is the most direct way to get it to crank, by bypassing almost all of the electrical system. If this doesn't work, the problem is down to the starter, battery, big wire, or main ground wire. If it does work, you have to start checking the starter relay and that wiring system including the key switch.

Found the safety switch and it has been bypassed. Battery is a new optima and I tried the battery off my other truck and even tried jumping from another vehicle still click click. All wires are clean and in good condition so I must have a bad starter even though it is new and bench test fine maybe it doesn't work under a load. I read another thread were someone said they had this problem but it was a broken ignition switch but why would the starter click if the switch was bad?:passgas:

Yes, but not enough power to turn motor. New starter works when you pull it out and do a bench test off the same battery. Going to get new wires tomorrow and maybe another starter although the wires look good and I cleaned everything.

wires may look good but can corrode/oxidize under the insulation. could check their resistence. have you checked/cleaned the ground connection.

use a meter and test the voltage going into the starter solinoid.

Yes, but not enough power to turn motor. New starter works when you pull it out and do a bench test off the same battery. Going to get new wires tomorrow and maybe another starter although the wires look good and I cleaned everything.

Bench test shows battery and starter are good enough. Only things left are the wires and connections. Both positive (red cables usually) and grounds. Don't forget you need the complete circuit to the starter and back to the battery thru ground.

Fixed it. Although the wires were tight and connections were clean they had a short where the end was crimped on. I put on a new ground wire and it started right up. Thanks for the help!

Back