• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help! Front leaf spring bolt out, but not out?!

Hey aLL, I've been on hear for a bit now reading, learning and help where I can even though I am still a noob w/ most cherokee stuff.

Now I'm stuck. I was replacing my leafsprings with the quadratec hd springs. I'm have some trouble with the driver front perch bolt. I was able to back it out to the point where the threads aren't in the subframe anymore, but the sleeve is rusted to it and I can't get it to come out any further. I torched it, tried splitting the sleeve open a bit which ended up breaking off the tip of my screwdriver( it's still in the sleeve0, tried placing a prybar behind the bolt head and turning it out. I don't know what to do. The other side was just as tough in the begining but once it got to this point it was a cake walk.

Any ideas? I'm getting very frustrated. :badpc:

I was thinking air chisel or angle grinder but my a/c is too small I think and the angle grinder seems problematic as well.

4 or 4.5" angle grinder with a metal cutting blade. There are two ways to go with this:

1) Slip the cutting blade alongside the rubber bushing and cut the bolt head off.

2) Cut most of the spring off, split the leaf spring bushing eye with the angle grinder in two places and remove, remove the rubber bushing, pry the bushing sleeve off of the bolt.

Back