• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mechanical to Electronic Speedo

IRN GYNT

NAXJA Forum User
My dilemma -> I have an AA SYE which only accepts an electronic speedo that I'm installing on a T-case for an '88 XJ which uses a mechanical speedo.

I also have a '96 wrecked XJ I can use for parts.

From research, it seems like a cluster swap is out of the question. Is it possible to take JUST the speedo assembly from the '96 cluster and augment it into the '88 cluster?

If not, any other options?

That looks like it might work, but $300...

I think I'd rather just switch to all aftermarket gauges if that's possible.

They might not be the only ones making this, its just one I knew about.

Do a google search.

At this point, I'm leaning towards just going all aftermarket gauges. I've always liked the Autometer Phantom gauges.

If you do that, do a write up with pictures!

Well, after getting home and going back out to my shop to work on the t-case, I discovered that the SYE will work with the mechanical speedo. :doh:

Not sure what I was thinking.

However, after looking at both gauges and a little research, I'm almost positive that the speedo mechanism sans the actual MPH plate from the '96 gauge would work in the '88 cluster AS LONG AS the signal from the sending unit went straight to the gauge (not routed through the ECU) unchanged.

I have to admit though, I'm a little disappointed because I was kinda looking forward to the challenge of either the augmentation or a clean looking VDO install.

Back