• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

valve cover swap?

BillDunn83

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 90 xj can i swap valve covers with a later year 4.0? I want to get rid of the whole built in pcv system....

I have a 90 xj can i swap valve covers with a later year 4.0? I want to get rid of the whole built in pcv system....

just take them off, each one is held on by 2 screws. if your getting blowby, you may need new ccv lines and grommets. you could also cut the towers shorter so there not sitting so close to the top of the head.

The blow by us the main issue I am having. So I should take them off, cut them and clean them? And replace the hoses.

Clean the hoses first, and grommets.

I have already had the cover off and cleaned everything out. The front grommet broke so I am replacing that. When I started it after the cleaning I still had blowback.

can i just swap to a newer H.O. head and kill 2 birds with one stone?

can i just swap to a newer H.O. head and kill 2 birds with one stone?

i believe so, but if you cant fix the blow by, you may have bad rings.

have you read this article?

http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=257985

when i fixed the blowby on my 89 about 9 years ago, i went to the dealership and they had a kit that included all the lines/tubing and the elbows.

i also clean the inside of the valve cover and baffles every couple of years. IMHO, the best valve cover gasket is the felpro permaform plus. i didnt have much luck with cork gaskets or rtv

thanks for the help guys i think i am gonna tear it apart and clean it one more time, order the hoses that way i know for sure the problem is fixed.

I would still the like the answer to the original question. Can you replace a renix valve cover with a 91+ VC.

EDIT: Nevermind finally found the answer. YOu can swap the VC with some CCV manipulation.

Last edited:
do you have a link to any threads on how to do that? I am about to sell the motor to a buddy of mine.

Back