• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle upgrade

matthagey

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 95 sport. 4.5 inch lift and 33s. I have stock axles and gearing, i finally blew the rear and was gonna get my gears done. I already have all the parts, 4.10s front and rear, rear locker(29 spline), and rebuild kits. I was planning on upgrading from 27 to 29 spline axles, and was wondering if i needed any additional parts other than the axle shafts for the conversion. any help would be helpful. thanks guys.

The only thing that you would need is a carrier, unless the you have a full case locker (detroit, arb, ox ect) and not a lunchbox (aussie, lockright ect.

yes all you need is the shafts... you have a 29 spline locker, even a luchbox will convert it over.... as long as your carrier will hold a 4.10 ratio, there was two diffrent carriers, dont quote me but i think that there was a 3.54 and down and a 3.55 and up.

You will only need a new carrier for the D30, I'm pretty sure the 8.25 carrier will hold the 4.10s.

It was bound to happen with the stock rear and weak 27 spline shafts when running 33s. It started as a slight vibration and one night after wheeling it had crazy vib. under load. not looking forward to the 1200 quoted price.:eek:

I'm pretty sure the carrier break that concerns us is on the 30, I think there is a break on the 8.25 but its so low (numerically) that we never encounter it. Something like 3.07 or some such crap. I could be making it all up though.

1200 quoted price for what? I could probably come up with 3 29 spline axles complete and a set of 4.10 r&p for well under that...

I'm pretty sure the carrier break that concerns us is on the 30, I think there is a break on the 8.25 but its so low (numerically) that we never encounter it. Something like 3.07 or some such crap. I could be making it all up though.

1200 quoted price for what? I could probably come up with 3 29 spline axles complete and a set of 4.10 r&p for well under that...

1200 for the regearing labor cost, i got all the parts pretty cheap from rustys.

1200 for the regearing labor cost, i got all the parts pretty cheap from rustys.

Why are you paying for regearing costs when you're only installing 4.10s? This gear ratio is OEM on 2.5L four cylinder XJs. You can swap in a D30 and 29 spline C8.25 from a 2.5L XJ for less $.

If you really want to have a shop install new gears, I say return the 4.10s and install 4.56s. This way you will only regear once, and I like extra torque.

Back